Adley starts at DH today

wildcard

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Ha. Remember when we picked up Everth Cabrera during spring training 2015? MASN leaked a BP video right after we got him and he was hitting popups and bouncers in the batting cage! Never seen anything like it. Went on to hit .208/.250/.229 and never played in the majors again at age 28. 

I don't remember this dude.  But that's some bad BP.

16 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Yeah the idea that "everyone" looks good in BP is kinda ludicrous. You can watch any team take BP at Camden Yards and immediately identify the players with plus power.  Adley and Yolmer Sanchez's BP rounds probably look drastically different.

If that's all you judge BP on, that's understandable.  But BP is more about showing off power.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd imagine everyone looks good in BP, outside of Eddie Murray.

Yea obviously he’s gotta transfer that over to the games, but I just meant to say that the swing itself looks shorter and quicker to me  during BP, so the physical ability for him to do that is there. Whereas with “the catcher who broke our hearts,” I doubt if. he could ever have shortened his swing even in BP. Adley looks to be a quicker athlete than Matt. 

3 hours ago, LTO's said:

Yeah the idea that "everyone" looks good in BP is kinda ludicrous. You can watch any team take BP at Camden Yards and immediately identify the players with plus power.  Adley and Yolmer Sanchez's BP rounds probably look drastically different.

I used to go to the left field bleachers at Memorial Stadium with a glove for batting practice to catch balls.

NO ONE put more balls into those gold seats in BP than Rick Dempsey.   I still have 3 or 4 of his that I caught.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I used to go to the left field bleachers at Memorial Stadium with a glove for batting practice to catch balls.

NO ONE put more balls into those gold seats in BP than Rick Dempsey.   I still have 3 or 4 of his that I caught.

Ichiro and David Ortiz  consistently had the best BP rounds I've seen. Ichiro could've won a Home Run Derby in Camden Yards. I swear every swing he took the ball landed right in the flag court. Ortiz would sometimes almost hit Boogs. 

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Trade him while his value is high?  Start rebuild 2.0 (Who replaces Elias?  Can we lure MacPhail back from Philly)?  Move the team to Nashville, hope for the best in expansion?

You can't tell me you look at him swinging out of his shoes with the bat ending up behind him at his ankles on the follow-through and tell me you like that swing. I have serious doubts about his hit tool right now. Power? Sure. Defense? Seems legit. Arm? Huge. But right now I don't know if this kid is going to hit with that big goofy swing. The only thing he hit hard so far is a 86 MPH middle-middle-middle meatball. 

I am an Orioles fan and I am SCARED. :)

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

You can't tell me you look at him swinging out of his shoes with the bat ending up behind him at his ankles on the follow-through and tell me you like that swing. I have serious doubts about his hit tool right now. Power? Sure. Defense? Seems legit. Arm? Huge. But right now I don't know if this kid is going to hit with that big goofy swing. The only thing he hit hard so far is a 86 MPH middle-middle-middle meatball. 

I am an Orioles fan and I am SCARED. :)

Hmm on one hand I've got Interloper and on the other hand every single report or mention I've seen from paid professionals.

No offense I'm going to hold off being concerned.

I preferred Witt Jr. over Adley pre-draft myself. I’m with Interloper, I have doubts about the hit tool. That swing in its current iteration will get abused by off speed stuff. Hopefully it’s just a case of him pressing a bit to prove his lofty prospect status that, right now, is backed up by only his college performance. I imagine he feels some slight pressure to perform.