Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I guess option there refers to AAA option, not a 2022 option.    Happy to have one more guy you don't have to somewhat hide at the bottom of the lineup.   Is he Top 3/4?    I am hopeful for Mullins, but still strongly prefer him down than up.    With DJ Stewart delay...

LF Hays

RF Santander

3B Franco

DH Mancini

1B Mountcastle   (tiling at windmills I know)      Maybe toggle 3/5 depending on where you want spotlight; I like Trey between them style-wise.

C Severino

SS Galvis

CF Mullins

2B Yolmer     (handling that bat like Dauer after Bumbry!)

2B Rougned a nice lefty complement - the Memorial Day dream would be like:

CF Hays, RF Santander, C Adley

DH Mancini, 1B Mountcastle, 3B Franco

2B Rougned, LF Yusniel, SS Galvis

A month of Minor League data to tell us what the rotation should be.    And perhaps family art projects when Lindor and Correa come through this summer.

Why exactly do you want Odor? 

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I think he is better than Yolmer Sanchez.

But why would you trade for him?  He has a big salary.

Unless they are taking back a bad contract (which we don’t have outside of Davis and they aren’t picking that up) or we are adding one or 2 very good prospects, I don’t see the point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I guess option there refers to AAA option, not a 2022 option.    Happy to have one more guy you don't have to somewhat hide at the bottom of the lineup.   Is he Top 3/4?    I am hopeful for Mullins, but still strongly prefer him down than up.    With DJ Stewart delay...

LF Hays

RF Santander

3B Franco

DH Mancini

1B Mountcastle   (tiling at windmills I know)      Maybe toggle 3/5 depending on where you want spotlight; I like Trey between them style-wise.

C Severino

SS Galvis

CF Mullins

2B Yolmer     (handling that bat like Dauer after Bumbry!)

2B Rougned a nice lefty complement - the Memorial Day dream would be like:

CF Hays, RF Santander, C Adley

DH Mancini, 1B Mountcastle, 3B Franco

2B Rougned, LF Yusniel, SS Galvis

A month of Minor League data to tell us what the rotation should be.    And perhaps family art projects when Lindor and Correa come through this summer.

Rougned has been moved to third, where he is much improved on defense, and where he is expected to pla6 for the Rangers. He’s not going anywhere.

no argument about anything else, though I’m going to shudder at a lot of awful unintentional soccer balling.

I wonder if Sisco is bad enough that they might give Wynns a shot and hope his defense is better?

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

With Franco signed, it looks like the Orioles position player roster is starting to take shape. Obviously the biggest thing that affects it right now is whether the team carries 13 or 14 pitchers. I still see them carrying 14 pitchers because of the innings load that will need to be taken on by many pitchers with just 60 innings or less pitched last year by everyone.

Now I supposed Franco could be optioned this year before opening day if he looks rusty and Ruiz could start the year at 3B, but I'm going to assume he will spend most, if not all of 2021 with the Orioles (at least until the trade deadline).

With that in mind, this is how I see the Orioles position players.

1B: Mancini
2B: Sanchez
SS: Galvis
3B: Franco
LF: Mountcastle/Hays
CF: Hays/Mullins
RF: Santander/Hays
C Severino
DH: Stewart/Mountcastle/Mancini/Santander (He's going to play a lot of CF/LF/RF)

Reserves:
C- Sisco (I really think Hyde would prefer Wynns here)
UTL: Valaika
DH/OF: Stewart

The Orioles are playing Mullins right now like a regular this spring and I think the Orioles really want his defense in CF (at least against righties). The Orioles best defensive outfield is Hays (LF), Mullins (CF), Santander (RF) but they are playing Mountcastle everyday in LF and he's too young to make an everyday DH.

This means they will rotate Mountcastle and Santander with Stewart at DH and free up Hays to play all three outfield spots including starting in CF against lefties.

So basically Hyde has lot of options to mix and match in his outfield with Hays ability play all three outfield position effectively and Hays will get 500+ at bats playing all over the outfield.

If, and that's a big if, the Orioles go with 13 pitchers, then it opens a spot for Ruiz as a left-handed pinch hitter, backup 1B/3B. I see Ruiz getting DFA'd, getting through waivers and playing 1B and some 3B with Bannon playing 2B on occasion at Norfolk this year. Ruiz would be the first option if Franco gets hurt unless Bannon is tearing it up in AAA (he's looked pretty over matched this spring).

Why Tony! You e been looking over my shoulder! That’s just what I was going to write! Except I don’t think we need a dedicated DH, and playing Stewart at DH reinforces his lack of positional value. I vote for him going down.

I also just suggested possibly Wynns might make it over Sisco on the grounds that he may offer better defense.

Why Valiaka over Urias?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see how they are both on the roster unless guys are hurt or Davis is gone.

Well Davis won’t be here early on. That buys them some time. Not that they would want him back anyway.  

Have to be keeping 13 pitchers if they both stay. Can always option Ruiz or DFA once they feel comfortable with Franco and rest of roster.