Pay attention to starters this week

Tony-OH

7 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Yes, LeBlanc has a track record as a starter for the Orioles. Why is it on track for Lopez if he only pitches 3 innings tomorrow but it says something negative about LeBlanc that has has already pitched 3 innings this Spring? And exactly what makes Valdez "better?"

Which of us is citing opinions? I cited a few facts and made a guess of who is in the SP competition based on who has started at least one game - a valid basis. Last year for the Orioles, LeBlanc made 6 starts in 6 appearances, Lopez made 6 starts in 9 games, Akin started 6 games of 8 he played. Lopez started zero games in 9 appearances. He only pitched 3 innings in two of those games but that proves he is in your view a more likely starter than LeBlanc because Wade hasn't reached four innings yet this Spring. This seems like yet another episode of "wildcard Hates Wade," the new CNS sitcom following "Bob Loves Abeshola." Cue the laughtrack so the viewers know when to chuckle along

LeBlanc may be used in long relief and that's fine. But your opinions seem rooted in your hatred of LeBlanc, not on anything measurable from this Spring or from last season.

My posts are opinion.   No question about it.

Seems we can agree that Means, Kremer and Harvey are definitely three starters. Akin seems to be fairly solid at another slot, and I think they have had him working to try to get his breaking ball and change up refined while not exposing him too much to our AL East opponents. Also, maybe getting him to cut some weight. 

The fifth slot comes down to Zimmermann, LeBlanc and Lopez; although I will not dismiss what Wildcard has been saying since Winter Ball that Valdez is a realistic fall back option as a starter.

Zimm has been a great story. I wanted him to start all offseason and coming into Spring Training. Hyde’s comments lead me to believe he starts in the pen for his best development. I do not think three rookies in the rotation to start the year is appealing to Hyde. But maybe he is the guy.

LeBlanc is what he is, and his track record isn’t great these past few years. But with Felix hurt, I think LeBlanc will be the fifth starter. He will generally go five innings and he’ll go out and compete to keep his team close. If they can get 6-8 weeks out of LeBlanc, great. He’ll end up with his usual poor stats, but he is buying time for the young guys. 

Lopez may have blown his shot to be a starter, giving Hyde some hope before his last implosion. Lopez still may be the guy if they want to keep someone in the pen and exclude LeBlanc from the OD roster. Personally, I would cut him. I think he is soft and leaves too many pitches over the middle of the plate. But they need him for now, and who knows, maybe they can get into his head and convince him to compete through adversity. 

Valdez as a starter...It remains a possibility, but I wonder if it is the best idea to have him face hitters 2-3 times in a game. We’ll see. A true dark horse candidate. 

My guess, the rotation is: Means, Kremer, Harvey, Akin and LeBlanc.

And the pen is: Scott, Fry, Tate, Armstrong, Valdez, Lopez, Zimmermann and Abad. If they keep 14 pitchers...Tyler Wells.

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

Well there are your #2 and #3 starters unless Zimmermann pitches on Wednesday as well. That would mean that it's either Akin or Zimmermann in the rotation to start the year and the other may by the "5th" starter that is not needed until the 7th. They could start in the bullpen and be the first long reliever used if one is needed on opening day, or optioned as long as they can be brought back for the 7th. If they can't because of option rules (I'm not 100% sure when an optioned player can come back at the start of the season without injury) then I imagine one starts in the bullpen as the "10th" reliever.

I still can't imagine Zimmermann not starting in the rotation with how he's pitched this spring. 

• Upvote 2

Glad to see the assignments, would have been surprised by anything else.

If part of the brand is we aren't promoting guys until they are MLB-ready and the Akin's and Mountcastle's of the world play full AAA seasons and another half year at the Alternate Site, I hope we at least get the benefit now that a couple shaky spring outings or a few extra pounds (trusting it isn't anything excessive there) don't cost a guy a long-prepared for job.

The league might shell him out of it in 8 turns as it might any Rookie SP of course, but unless we're going fast to Lowther/Wells/Baumann or head over heels in love with SP Valdez I'm not sure there's a realistic alternative that isn't maybe a little bit goofy.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well there are your #2 and #3 starters unless Zimmermann pitches on Wednesday as well. That would mean that it's either Akin or Zimmermann in the rotation to start the year and the other may by the "5th" starter that is not needed until the 7th. They could start in the bullpen and be the first long reliever used if one is needed on opening day, or optioned as long as they can be brought back for the 7th. If they can't because of option rules (I'm not 100% sure when an optioned player can come back at the start of the season without injury) then I imagine one starts in the bullpen as the "10th" reliever.

I still can't imagine Zimmermann not starting in the rotation with how he's pitched this spring. 

What if Akin bombs Thursday?  I get what you are saying here. It obvious Kremer is lined up at the 2. Harvey is a lock also. 

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah this should put a damper on questions about whether or not Akin is making the rotation. It's not impossible he goes to the bullpen, as you mention here, but at the very least I think he makes the team. The conditioning issues you mentioned is somewhat disappointing, but it's hard to hold his lack of command against him at this point with so many guys struggling to find their command so far. That said he could use a good start on Thursday...

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I think I see him caring about LHP v. the Yankees.   It's just that the Red Sox aren't worth worrying about.

Perhaps. I just enjoyed getting a cheap dig in at Buck. 

LHP in Fenway historically not ideal. With this team I don’t think he will care about matchups as much.