O's switch radio stations in DC

SteveA

4 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I listen through the SirusXM app in my car. If you already have satellite radio it's nice and clear. Each MLB team has their own dedicated channel which carries each radio broadcast. I'm not suggesting that you get satellite radio just for the games but if you already have it it is a nice plus. 

If you have SirusXM account, then you should be able to get that same channel on your internet, or in my case, I link my alexa up to it. I got SirusXM last year, special deal, cost me $60 for my car for one full year, and they tossed in a free amazon alexa.

I have to say, I grew up with the old WBAL and you talk about a strong AM signal, at nights and certain conditions, with bounces, that signal could really reach out and travel in all directions.

17 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

If only Ken Beatrice was still alive to do the pre and post game shows on his old station 630!

I'd listen while eating Arby's curly fries and a Jamocha shake, gawd luvya.  He'd get on my nerves after a while, but he was truly a pioneer on WMAL back in the day.  I think Phil Wood hated his guts - probably for good reason - but there was no denying Beatrice's success.  

I'm one of the 10 DC listeners - probably won't make much difference - I get 980 and 630 about the same.  I doubt 630 gives them any more coverage with pre or post-game shows, because they have basically the same listeners.    

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

If you have SirusXM account, then you should be able to get that same channel on your internet, or in my case, I link my alexa up to it. I got SirusXM last year, special deal, cost me $60 for my car for one full year, and they tossed in a free amazon alexa.

I have to say, I grew up with the old WBAL and you talk about a strong AM signal, at nights and certain conditions, with bounces, that signal could really reach out and travel in all directions.

That's a great deal in Sirius and a lesson to everyone - they will make deals with you - don't pay their list price.  

21 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

That's a great deal in Sirius and a lesson to everyone - they will make deals with you - don't pay their list price.  

Never ever, have I paid list price.

that was a special offer sent through the mail, and usually, I play nice with their customer service and explain, while I enjoy the service, personally its not worth it to me to pay the higher fees. Yes, I know thats an introductory offer, and I understand, business is business, no hard feelings, just turn me off. Wait, how can we keep you? Keep me at my current price. Well, not sure, we can do that, but let me get you over to somebody that might be able to help. They will run through their speall and I will be polite and stick to where I am willing to walk away, and they will reenroll me in the lower price plan. Been doing that since 2015. At one point last year, the rep told, me this is your 4th offer at that rate, he was wrong, but oh well, and i said, yes, I am aware, thank you.

Bottom line, they have flexibility, they dont like to broadcast out, but they realize some money coming in, is better than a customer walking away.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

I'd listen while eating Arby's curly fries and a Jamocha shake, gawd luvya.  He'd get on my nerves after a while, but he was truly a pioneer on WMAL back in the day.  I think Phil Wood hated his guts - probably for good reason - but there was no denying Beatrice's success.  

I'm one of the 10 DC listeners - probably won't make much difference - I get 980 and 630 about the same.  I doubt 630 gives them any more coverage with pre or post-game shows, because they have basically the same listeners.    

Really?   I'm Baltimore-centric, even though I can get DC channels on TV and radio, I am oriented to the Baltimore ones.

But I thought that 980 was an all sports station and 630 was mostly political talk shows?   Guess I must be wrong about that.

39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Really?   I'm Baltimore-centric, even though I can get DC channels on TV and radio, I am oriented to the Baltimore ones.

But I thought that 980 was an all sports station and 630 was mostly political talk shows?   Guess I must be wrong about that.

The political talk radio station on 630 AM switched to 105.9 FM some time ago. 630 AM is now ESPN radio apparently. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn't realize 630 AM switched formats either, and the last I remembered 630 AM and 105.9 FM were both relaying the same political talk. 

I didn’t know either.  There’s been a lot of realignment in the DC radio market the last 2-3 years.    

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WTEM&service=AM&h=N

980 at night. 

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WSBN&service=AM&h=N

630 at night. They do explain it could be wider than this shows.  

Not so sure what that means because you can hear WBAL up and down the east coast at night and its map doesn't show much more coverage than those two stations.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t know either.  There’s been a lot of realignment in the DC radio market the last 2-3 years.    

As of a few months ago, 105.7 in Baltimore, 106.7 in DC, and 980 AM are all owned by the same company. 

Edited by fansince1988
typo