Sanchez DFA’d: Flurry of moves could be just the beginning

eddie83

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why are we assuming Franco will be traded?

I get that team needs arise as the season goes on and I agree that he could be traded but he couldn’t find a job until well into ST and he got less than 1M.  He’s not exactly some highly sought after guy and that was after having a good 2020 “season”.  I wouldn’t be assuming anything w/r/t Franco.

Going into the season with Valaika and Urias as your platoon at second is pretty lazy although they may think Jones is brought up soon, so they figure to go with a stop gap situation for now.

I also disagree that we have a shortage at third..I just don’t think we know who will end up there yet.

Elias has shown in the past he will trade a player for very little. The Franco signing seems to me to be more of taking advantage of situation where a player has no where else to go. Whether he eventually nets a couple kids from the DR or maybe a low level prospect from a desperate team at the deadline I think it’s safe to assume he will be traded. At least it seems clear to me that that is the plan. Otherwise why sign a guy when we have Ruiz here? It’s not like Elias wants to win right now. He’ll never say it out loud and I wouldn’t expect him to but high draft picks are one of the goals in a rebuild like this so I don’t think Franco was signed because Ruiz stinks. 

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

Elias has shown in the past he will trade a player for very little. The Franco signing seems to me to be more of taking advantage of situation where a player has no where else to go. Whether he eventually nets a couple kids from the DR or maybe a low level prospect from a desperate team at the deadline I think it’s safe to assume he will be traded. At least it seems clear to me that that is the plan. Otherwise why sign a guy when we have Ruiz here? It’s not like Elias wants to win right now. He’ll never say it out loud and I wouldn’t expect him to but high draft picks are one of the goals in a rebuild like this so I don’t think Franco was signed because Ruiz stinks. 

I don’t disagree that Elias is likely to want to trade him but it takes 2 to tango

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t disagree that Elias is likely to want to trade him but it takes 2 to tango

Yea, of course. I’m just following what I believe is the line of thinking regarding Franco being signed at all. If he was traded, who would play 3B? Bannon? Urias? It’s arguable whether either of those players are any better or worse than Ruiz but it seems logical to me to keep him as a fall back plan and depth, especially if he can handle 2B. 

57 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I mean, we do need a second baseman, and he's probably better than Valaika and Urias.  He also punched Jose Bautista in the face which was awesome.  What do ya'll think?

If he is released and we arent bound to his current contract, I pick him up in a heartbeat.  He hasn’t been that good the last few years but he just turned 27 and has big power for the position.  

We should represent a good opportunity for him as he can play everyday and hit in a good park.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he is released and we are bound to his current contract, I pick him up in a heartbeat.  He hasn’t been that good the last few years but he just turned 27 and has big power for the position.  

We should represent a good opportunity for him as he can play everyday and hit in a good park.  

Agreed.  .750 OPS in 2018, .722 OPS in 2019, so not great, but very likely better than what we currently have.  According to BBRef, he was worth 1.8 dWar in 2018, but at 0 in 2019 and -0.4 last year.