NL VP of Scouting : " It’s embarrassing to the sport what they’re doing, or aren’t doing."

jamesenoch

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well what are the other options?  Lying to your fanbase that THIS IS THE YEAR like the Orioles did to us from '98 to 2011?  Pretending like they've got a shot this year?

It takes as long as it takes, quite frankly I'm not exactly worried with how long this is taking.  I was born in late '81, this team has been $#%& for practically my entire life with a few blips on the radar here and there.  Miss me with the THEY NEED TO CONTEND NOW talk, I don't care if it's this year or next, so long as it happens.  I've been conditioned for my entire life to realize that they'll always be mediocre to terrible, anything else is a pleasant surprise.

This was a proud fanchaize and look back.

Last WS was 1983

Good 2 year run in 96-97

Decent 5 year 2011-2016 or maybe 2012-2017. 

Too many sorry arse years in between and a few more years on the radar screen

• Upvote 1

I am excited by this year's team.  An outfield full of young talent.  Mancini's return.  I'm fine with the pickups of Galvis and Franco.  I like that Means, Kremer and Zimmerman will play big roles in the rotation.  Now, I'd like to see a steady stream of prospects make their way to the big club during the course of the season.  Bauman, Lowther, Wells and Akin could all make their way onto the pitching staff.  Diaz and McKenna could get shots.  And, I really hope to see Rutschman later in the season.  Those types of moves would make this big league season a success.  Beyond that, the development of Gunnar Henderson and Adam Hall [not to mention Grayson Rodriquez and DL Hall] would be great news for me, as well.  I'm stoked about '21.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well what are the other options?  Lying to your fanbase that THIS IS THE YEAR like the Orioles did to us from '98 to 2011?  Pretending like they've got a shot this year?

It takes as long as it takes, quite frankly I'm not exactly worried with how long this is taking.  I was born in late '81, this team has been $#%& for practically my entire life with a few blips on the radar here and there.  Miss me with the THEY NEED TO CONTEND NOW talk, I don't care if it's this year or next, so long as it happens.  I've been conditioned for my entire life to realize that they'll always be mediocre to terrible, anything else is a pleasant surprise.

Just build a sustainable model like the Rays is all I want and I'll take my chances as a fan. There will still be losing seasons, but we won't have to experience extreme downswings like this current stretch. 

I wonder if he thought it was embarrassing when the Astros won 56, 55, and 51 games in 3 consecutive years.      Then made the playoffs 2 years later.

Elias has completed 1.5 (ish) MLB seasons since he was hired at the end of 2018.  

People need to chill the heck out.

Just my opinion.

I agree with those saying that this needs to be the last year of absolute tear down though.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one is saying they need to be dumb with their money or trade young assets for declining vets or anything like that.

But we shouldn’t be discussing the merits of keeping Lopez in the rotation...or what is going to happen with Ruiz or does a platoon of Valaika/Urias make sense?

These are stupid conversations to have.  They should be putting more players on the field that can represent a product that is competitive and worth watching.  

Just now, Aglets said:

I wonder if he thought it was embarrassing when the Astros won 56, 55, and 51 games in 3 consecutive years.      Then made the playoffs 2 years later.

Elias has completed 1.5 (ish) MLB seasons since he was hired at the end of 2018.  

Just my opinion.

I agree with those saying that this needs to be the last year of absolute tear down though.

But the big difference, they were signing people and working the rebuild there.

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

But the big difference, they were signing people and working the rebuild there.

We are also in year four with no guarantee that year five will be different.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No one is saying they need to be dumb with their money or trade young assets for declining vets or anything like that.

But we shouldn’t be discussing the merits of keeping Lopez in the rotation...or what is going to happen with Ruiz or does a platoon of Valaika/Urias make sense?

These are stupid conversations to have.  They should be putting more players on the field that can represent a product that is competitive and worth watching.  

And btw, I realize that every team (even the Yankees) tend to have some AAAA players or reclamation projects on their team.  

The difference is they have players around them that make those players a non factor.  On the Orioles, that really isn’t the case.

What I would like to see from guys like this is complain about the other teams doing it and acknowledge that the Os have a pipeline of young talent either here or coming soon that can quickly change this narrative.   What he is saying is correct but I also think more can be said along with it.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just build a sustainable model like the Rays is all I want and I'll take my chances as a fan. There will still be losing seasons, but we won't have to experience extreme downswings like this current stretch. 

Bro, they can't because they're not that smart.  I like Elias, but I don't think he's in the league with who the Rays guys are.

And even if we did, people here wouldn't be happy.  There'd be complaints that they're not spending enough.  

The next time the Orioles win a  WS in 5 games, you can be someone is going to be on here whining that it wasn't a sweep.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

SG, I said it yesterday, I'll say it again here...you've been (correctly) saying that the OD roster doesn't matter.  And so if we're going to harp on the Lopez thing, let's not pretend that he's going to be here all season.  Outside of Means and perhaps Kremer I don't think the other three rotation spots are going be finishing with who they started with.  I'm confident we'll see Akin and the other young arms this season.

I also agree that Valaika/Urias aren't appetizing conversations to have but I'm under no illusion that, like the rotation, that these are going to be the full time guys we've got at the end of the season.  And if they are, then I'm assuming we'll have someone waiting in the wings to take over at 2nd base.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bro, they can't because they're not that smart.  I like Elias, but I don't think he's in the league with who the Rays guys are.

And even if we did, people here wouldn't be happy.  There'd be complaints that they're not spending enough.  

The next time the Orioles win a  WS in 5 games, you can be someone is going to be on here whining that it wasn't a sweep.

SG, I said it yesterday, I'll say it again here...you've been (correctly) saying that the OD roster doesn't matter.  And so if we're going to harp on the Lopez thing, let's not pretend that he's going to be here all season.  Outside of Means and perhaps Kremer I don't think the other three rotation spots are going be finishing with who they started with.  I'm confident we'll see Akin and the other young arms this season.

I also agree that Valaika/Urias aren't appetizing conversations to have but I'm under no illusion that, like the rotation, that these are going to be the full time guys we've got at the end of the season.  And if they are, then I'm assuming we'll have someone waiting in the wings to take over at 2nd base.

No doubt a lot of this is true.  As I said, w/r/t Lopez, while him being on the OD roster isn’t a big deal in a vacuum, we should be giving every opportunity to young players who could part of the future.  There is no reason not to do this.

You are either trying to be better or you arent.  If you aren’t, let the ship go down with players who could get better and be here long term.  

This is especially true in a season where these guys don’t get to play in real games for at least a month after ST ends.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

At least they did sign Galvis and Franco as opposed to going with Martin/McCoy and Ruiz.

They at least did try to put major leaguers at those positions.  

And pay whats his name to pitch for another MLB this season.

That was utter brilliance on their part.

I am excited/interested in watching most of our starters, our 1B and 3B, our OF and DH. I hope soon to be interested in our C and the relievers. Middle infield should be more interesting in the next year or two. My only great fear is that these prospects we have stockpiled make it to the big leagues and then stink. Then what? What do we do then? Four more years of a rebuild? Fire Elias and start all over? Go back to big spending? Just lose and don't even try? Sell the team? Alot is riding on these "kids"