NL VP of Scouting : " It’s embarrassing to the sport what they’re doing, or aren’t doing."

jamesenoch

I simply do not post on this site (maybe less than 300 times in 18 years), but I thought this was an interesting quote :

“I know the Orioles are in rebuild mode, but come on. It’s embarrassing to the sport what they’re doing, or aren’t doing. They’re not even signing the better minor league free agents, in my opinion.”—NL vice president of scouting

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/survey-says-19-anonymous-mlb-scouts-executives-offer-2021-predictions/

I'm sure in just a few more short years the O's will be spending all this money they saved to maintain and supplement the core Elias has painstakingly assembled.

Oops sorry I meant,

I'm sure in just a few more short years the O's will be spending all this money they saved to maintain and supplement the core Elias has painstakingly assembled.

Sounds like someone with an agenda against Elias.  We are not privy to why some signing/non signing decisions are made but factors like money, character, position need, and development of current players in the system may influence what theO’s do.  My guess is that NL VP probably should not throw stones in his own glass house.

Has Elias been perfect?  No, but a rebuild takes some time.  For now I think the majority of O’s fans are patient.

6 minutes ago, jamesenoch said:

I simply do not post on this site (maybe less than 300 times in 18 years), but I thought this was an interesting quote :

“I know the Orioles are in rebuild mode, but come on. It’s embarrassing to the sport what they’re doing, or aren’t doing. They’re not even signing the better minor league free agents, in my opinion.”—NL vice president of scouting

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/survey-says-19-anonymous-mlb-scouts-executives-offer-2021-predictions/

Of the things we do that i might consider embarrassing, (not) signing minor league free agents is not one of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, coe76 said:

Sounds like someone with an agenda against Elias.  We are not privy to why some signing/non signing decisions are made but factors like money, character, position need, and development of current players in the system may influence what theO’s do.  My guess is that NL VP probably should not throw stones in his own glass house.

Has Elias been perfect?  No, but a rebuild takes some time.  For now I think the majority of O’s fans are patient.

And we've spent some time rebuilding.  For some reason other teams don't seem to think that four, or more, years of tanking are essential to rebuilding.

We have a perfect situation to get some young players ML experience and instead they are prioritizing current earnings and future savings.

Yeah I’m super embarrassed about having a top 5 farm system which will only be enhanced come draft and now building an awesome complex in the DR that will only help continue the pipeline. (I get the the criticism about the on field product right now but this was stated long ago to be a lengthy process. We are almost there!)

• Upvote 1

This whole thing is one guy's opinion. Why wouldn't Elias want to sign the best minor-league free agents? Maybe they didn't want to come here, or maybe he sees something in some less well-known guys that he thinks he can fix. People can disagree without it being "embarrassing," jeez, NL scouting guy

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

This whole thing is one guy's opinion. Why wouldn't Elias want to sign the best minor-league free agents? Maybe they didn't want to come here, or maybe he sees something in some less well-known guys that he thinks he can fix. People can disagree without it being "embarrassing," jeez, NL scouting guy

This is not just one guy's opinion.  I've seen this viewpoint espoused multiple times over the rebuild.

Because they cost more?

1 minute ago, interloper said:

What's embarrassing is that the previous regime buried its head in the sand trying to compete 2 or 3 years beyond their window, completely ignoring the international market out of some phony PA principle, didn't invest in analytics, and created this situation where it requires a complete tank-fest teardown in order to build a farm system and international operation worthy of most other teams in the game. Elias has been straight about that. The Orioles over-extended themselves and they are paying the bill now. 

Why can't both be embarrassing?

Look I was down with the rebuild, it needed to be done.

But it's gone on long enough and the emphasis need to move from saving money to actually building a team that can compete.

• Upvote 1

I've long thought the next compete date was April, 2022.  With a good year of development and spending some money in the winter this could be a fun team next season.  I'll add, in this division especially, you really need to build right and the system Elias took over was a total disgrace.

However, if we're losing 100 games next year and/or AR is still in the minors, I will have serious problems with ME.

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I've long thought the next compete date was April, 2022.  With a good year of development and spending some money in the winter this could be a fun team next season.  I'll add, in this division especially, you really need to build right and the system Elias took over was a total disgrace.

However, if we're losing 100 games next year and/or AR is still in the minors, I will have serious problems with ME.

Uncertainty due to the CBA negotiations is going to be the excuse for 2022.