Dean Kremer 2021

Il BuonO

27 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Its frequently cited when looking at fantasy prospects and chance for injury.  This article is one of dozens that I have seen over the years.

https://rotofanatic.com/the-danger-zone-sudden-ip-increases/

I'll agree that the consensus is a large increase in innings is bad.

But I haven't seen actual science that shows how much is of an increase is a problem.

That was an interesting article you posted, but it was talking about a very select group of players and there was no control.  Thrity-five percent of this list is injured...OK...what's the injury rate of everyone else?  What other factors might be in play for these guys getting hurt?

Maybe Elias and the other teams have this data and it isn't publicly available.  If they do I wish they would share it.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Yeah they found a clear link between pitch counts and negative outcomes.  It makes perfect sense if you think about it and you understand that overhand pitching (especially at the force of an MLB player) is an unnatural human motion.

Interestingly enough, the physics of the interactions between muscles, joints, ligaments, etc work very similarly in 17-18 year olds as 22-29 year olds.  I would even hypothesize that it’s the same in older individuals.

The situation here is someone being pulled after less than 80 FREAKING PITCHES. If you want to debate something like 120 pitches then fine but it's asinine to use pitch count or innings as a justification for pulling Kremer yesterday.

I’ve seen enough of the guy “I was most excited to see” at the beginning of the season. He needs to go down. Looks like he’s seriously losing confidence and can’t locate successfully. See if he can regroup at Norfolk. 

Start the shuttle and send Kremer to work on a few things.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I’ve seen enough of the guy “I was most excited to see” at the beginning of the season. He needs to go down. Looks like he’s seriously losing confidence and can’t locate successfully. See if he can regroup at Norfolk. 

I agree with this. 

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Rough day, but he had three decent starts before this one.   I’d keep him up here.   

On 5/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, LocoChris said:

The situation here is someone being pulled after less than 80 FREAKING PITCHES. If you want to debate something like 120 pitches then fine but it's asinine to use pitch count or innings as a justification for pulling Kremer yesterday.

On this part of it, I feel like if the CBA doesn't make some roster adjustments about pitching carousels, the ONLY pitchers teams are going to want 80+ pitches from is the best guys.   The carousel just lets them play full court press all the time with the bottom 50-75% of MLB pitchers, and makes the concept of the Bottom 30-40% of MLB pitchers meaningless.   Those are just roster spots to stream whatever Bulk Reliever or One Inning Guy is in good form this week.

Means looks like one - I'm hopeful Rodriguez/Hall/Bradish/Baumann (Vandy guy?) are decent shots at one or two more.   But from here Kremer, Akin and everyone a little below them I think will be required to show better Pitch 1-75 effectiveness before getting much more rope.    Most days if Lopez, Kremer, Zimmermann, Akin or Lowther happens to be 75 pitches deep in a 1-1 game, I'm more worried about blowing a 2020's Quality Start then seeing if they can pitch another decent inning or two.

In terms of what to hope for competitively, I feel like a couple years out the Orioles have a good chance to outpitch many teams, but I'm not quite sure if Status Quo or stricter roster limits would help our basket of pitchers compared to other teams.

6 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

This. Guy's young, folks. Give him some time.

Even in those 3 "good starts", there were some warning signs.

You definitely keep running him out there, perhaps for the whole season but he has to start commanding his pitches better, missing more bats and throwing more strikes.  

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Even in those 3 "good starts", there were some warning signs.

You definitely keep running him out there, perhaps for the whole season but he has to start commanding his pitches better, missing more bats and throwing more strikes.  

Don’t disagree at all.   Especially throwing more strikes early in the count.   

I expect him back at some point. I still like his stuff. But as I stated before, his confidence looks shaken. He needs to rediscover command of the CU. 

Means is the only sure thing in the rotation, so there should be plenty of opportunity.

• Thanks 1