4/11 vs Red Sox

Moose Milligan

13 minutes ago, VICIOUS said:

Garceau stepping all over Palmer...How much longer can Jim take it.

I've been watching the game without sound and not on-line because of other things going on.

Two thoughts about Garceau from listening to him so far this season.

The first is that he's what I would think of as a professional broadcaster. He describes the action pretty well, follows the game and tells you what's going on, and generally stays on subject. He's an Orioles partisan without overdoing it. But the other side of that is he doesn't seem to care very much about baseball, the game he's announcing, or the Orioles -- it's just a job. He shows more enthusiasm about playing golf than about watching baseball. He doesn't seem to know much about baseball beyond what's in the materials furnished to him or the messages conveyed through his earpiece. I'd like to see him take a moderately difficult, closed-book baseball test on subjects other than the current Orioles. My guess is that he wouldn't get many answers.

Second, whether it's for those reasons or others, Palmer has complete disdain for him and 2/3 of what he says. He's polite, most of the time, inan Eddie-Haskell-like way, but you can almost hear it in his voice sometimes: "They canned Gary Thorne so they could replace him with this guy?"

Wells has gotten 6 outs with 18 pitches. Bring him back in the 8th? He has enough of a repertoire of pitches to be a spot-starting candidate.... Was a starter throughout his brief minor league career (top level was AA last year).

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I've been watching the game without sound and not on-line because of other things going on.

Two thoughts about Garceau from listening to him so far this season.

The first is that he's what I would think of as a professional broadcaster. He describes the action pretty well, follows the game and tells you what's going on, and generally stays on subject. He's an Orioles partisan without overdoing it. But the other side of that is he doesn't seem to care very much about baseball, the game he's announcing, or the Orioles -- it's just a job. He shows more enthusiasm about playing golf than about watching baseball. He doesn't seem to know much about baseball beyond what's in the materials furnished to him or the messages conveyed through his earpiece. I'd like to see him take a moderately difficult, closed-book baseball test on subjects other than the current Orioles. My guess is that he wouldn't get many answers.

Second, whether it's for those reasons or others, Palmer has complete disdain for him and 2/3 of what he says. He's polite, most of the time, inan Eddie-Haskell-like way, but you can almost hear it in his voice sometimes: "They canned Gary Thorne so they could replace him with this guy?"

I totally agree. I'm surprised Palmer didn't just leave with Thorne getting replaced. I'm going to start switching it over to the other teams broadcast.