How long do the O’s need to be bad

kidrock

44 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

Agreed if we are not .500 or better by 2023 Elias needs to be fired 

I would say if the team isn’t knocking on the door of .500 by next year he should be gone. There is enough quality in the upper minors right now to field a mostly competitive team next year, even if some of the long term answers (MIF, top tier starter) might not be quite ready yet.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I would say if the team isn’t knocking on the door of .500 by next year he should be gone. There is enough quality in the upper minors right now to field a mostly competitive team next year, even if some of the long term answers (MIF, top tier starter) might not be quite ready yet.

Isn't he the one who has assembled that quality in the upper minors? I don't know what anyone expects him to do with his payroll and Chris Davis's contract. I've been at least moderately impressed to ecstatic on the process regardless of the results. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Isn't he the one who has assembled that quality in the upper minors? I don't know what anyone expects him to do with his payroll and Chris Davis's contract. I've been at least moderately impressed to ecstatic on the process regardless of the results. 

Not really?  A lot of these guys were already here when Elias arrived.  And of course you or I could have picked Adley 1-1.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really?  A lot of these guys were already here when Elias arrived.  And of course you or I could have picked Adley 1-1.

Agreed to a point, but I also don't think either of us could make the organization .500 in the AL East faster than Elias. I'm not judging the results unless there are specific bad decisions we can point to in the process. So far I'm not seeing it. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed to a point, but I also don't think either of us could make the organization .500 in the AL East faster than Elias. I'm not judging the results unless there are specific bad decisions we can point to in the process. So far I'm not seeing it. 

My ego isn't that big.  I do not think I am at all qualified to be a ML GM. 

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wouldn't have picked Casper Kjerstad at 1-2 though!  Takes special talent to do that.

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wouldn't have picked Casper Kjerstad at 1-2 though!  Takes special talent to do that.

Heston?

38 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That’s kind of my point. He’s collected/shepherded these pieces along, it’s time to see by next year if they’re worth a darn. Plus can he sign a good complimentary piece or two. 

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a joke, bro.  C'mon.  Casper, the Friendly Ghost?  Kjerstad has disappeared and not been seen or heard from in quite some time...aka ghosting.  So...Casper Kjerstad.  

Ok. My youthful cartooning began with Warner bros and ended with Speed Racer so I’m not up on my Casper references.

but I can Marvin The Martian with you all day long!

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• In your retirement you stay up too late and worry too much.  
    • If you want style points, watch figure skating. A bloop hit looks the same as a line drive hit in the box score. A win is a win.
    • Every time we get a pitcher from the A’s this time of year, I think they are still doing us a solid for trading them Pat Neshek for cash in 2012.
    • I understand why you'd be concerned with Webb's performance but that contract is so juicy that I'd jump on him if he were available.  4/82 plus the remainder of his salary this year is a steal for him, even accounting for the fact that pitcher arb awards have been weirdly low.
    • Great to get a 2-0 win facing George Kirby, but man they made it way harder than it had to be. Grayson gets staked to a 1-0 lead in the top of the 4th, then walks 2 of the first 3 batters he faces in the bottom of the inning.  Fortunately, erased on a DP. The O’s score an insurance run in the 7th, but then can’t capitalize on a bases loaded, one out situation with Gunnar and Adley up.   In the bottom half, Grayson allows a single and puts the tying run on via a walk, then makes a poor throw on an easy DP comebacker that could have loaded the bases but Gunnar somehow got a barehand grip on the ball with his foot on the bag.   In the 8th, O’Hearn leads off with a double but the O’s failed to advance him. In the 9th, Kimbrel hits a guy, almost allows a game-tying homer that goes just foul, then hits another guy, and the baserunners both get into scoring position but Kimbrel is able to end it on a strikeout.    I’m thrilled they won, but man they made it gut-wrenching.   
    • 1: A lot of posters here actually have an milb.tv subscription and use it, or they attend games in person.  So you're off base if you think the prevailing opinion here is based on a few social media posts. 2: Henderson doesn't have a famous dad, and Holliday outproduced him at a younger age in the minors, and people here were about equally hyped about Henderson. 3: Holliday put up a 1.000+ OPS in AA as a 19 year old.  AA is harder than power-5 division 1 college baseball.  That's basically like a freshman putting up 25/10/5.  Not 4 points a game.  Get outta here with your terrible Bronny James comparisons.  If people here were actually blinded by a last name then posters here would have thought that Ryan Ripken was a legitimate prospect.  Believe it or not some of us actually do research on things like this.  We certainly aren't alone in rating Holliday highly, as he was rated #1 or #2 overall by every publication I can think of (and #1 by most of them if I recall.) 4: Holliday for Miller, who isn't guaranteed to be healthy enough to be in the starting rotation over the course of his controlled years, is a ludicrous trade proposal and I'm glad you're not our GM.  You're trading Holliday for an ace.  And not just any ace, an ace without injury concerns with years of control left.  Someone like Chris Sale, when the White Sox traded him for Moncada/Kopech+.  Anything less than an ace is a terrible return.  And I get that Moncada was probably a bad #1 overall prospect, but even if you think Holliday is a bad #1 overall too, you're still undervaluing him to an absurd degree by settling for a reliever with injury concerns, even a shutdown one.
    • So, Burnes is pushed back to Thursday. He could still make the Tuesday-Sunday starts next week, or does Hyde go with Kremer to make two starts next week. The Sunday game against the Yankees could be big. I think if we win two of three we clinch the season series.    
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now