Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I will say this. In the 25 years I've been covering the Orioles minor leagues, Rodriguez is the best pitching prospect I've seem come through pitching in the Orioles organization. He literally has the complete package of velocity, off-speed, and the ability to throw four pitches for strikes. Can his command improve some, sure, but he's head and shoulders better than anyone I've scouted. 

I've always said that Josh Beckett was the best pitcher I ever scouted in the minor leagues and Tim Lincecum was the best I have scouted as an amateur.

Grayson Rodriguez may now have eclipsed Beckett in my mind as the best I've seen in the minors.

Does the fact that he basically only pitches 5 innings each outing make that harder to judge?  I understand what they are doing but I do wonder what effect that has given that he knows he is going to be yanked at 80 pitches or so.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What else does he have to prove in AA?

The only thing I see if is he's still uses too many pitches to get batters out. Grant it most hitters take close pitches with him because they can't hit him anyways, but he has been at 80-90 pitches while pitching in the 5th inning his last few starts. He was better today than in his last start, but I'd like to see him start using the MLB ball in AAA.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

The only thing I see if is he's still uses too many pitches to get batters out. Grant it most hitters take close pitches with him because they can't hit him anyways, but he has been at 80-90 pitches while pitching in the 5th inning his last few starts. He was better today than in his last start, but I'd like to see him start using the MLB ball in AAA.

Did you see Strasburg when he was in the minors?

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Does the fact that he basically only pitches 5 innings each outing make that harder to judge?  I understand what they are doing but I do wonder what effect that has given that he knows he is going to be yanked at 80 pitches or so.

The only thing I can go off of is the stuff towards the end of his outings, how does it look? I don't see any drop off in the stuff including the velocity which was still 97-98 closing in on 80 pitches today. He's built like a guy who won't have an issue holding his stuff to 100 pitches.

3 hours ago, orioles22 said:

He could be in line to pitch twice next week - Tuesday and Sunday.  I hate rushing prospects but I would like to see him pitch a month in Norfolk. I'd also like to see him throw 100 pitches, but that's another story.

I don't think they are going to let him go more than 80 or so pitches anytime this season.  They decided this right or wrong when they went into the season.  Next season I am sure they will let them go more but coming off them not playing in games last year this is what they think is best.

2 hours ago, seak05 said:

On the MLB pipeline podcast they basically confirmed that Grayson will be the #1 pitching prospect in baseball on their list after the re-rank 

Get ready for the Orioles to have the consensus #1 hitting prospect and consensus #1 pitching prospect at the start of next season. Chances are it'll be the only time it ever happens for the O's, at least in most of our lifetimes.

Has it ever happened before for any team?

5 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Get ready for the Orioles to have the consensus #1 hitting prospect and consensus #1 pitching prospect at the start of next season. Chances are it'll be the only time it ever happens for the O's, at least in most of our lifetimes.

I was thinking Harper and Strasburg, but it doesn’t look like they were both considered prospects in the Nats’ minor league system at the same time. 

5 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

The Orioles actually were close with Wieters and Matusz. In 2009 Wieters was the best overall prospect, with Tillman and Matusz both top 25. In 2010 Matusz was the top pitching prospect, but Wieters had graduated off the list.

er, hopefully this time works out better 

Edited by seak05

10 hours ago, accinfo said:

I don't think they are going to let him go more than 80 or so pitches anytime this season.  They decided this right or wrong when they went into the season.  Next season I am sure they will let them go more but coming off them not playing in games last year this is what they think is best.

He has gone 82 and 89 pitches in his last 2 starts.  They could be ramping him up to push towards 100 pitches.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has gone 82 and 89 pitches in his last 2 starts.  They could be ramping him up to push towards 100 pitches.

Except that I'm pretty sure 89 was 2 starts ago and 82 was yesterday.  So not exactly a ramp-up.  I was a bit annoyed that they yanked him after 82 yesterday, but whatever.  Clearly they're treading very carefully and not going to change.

36 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Except that I'm pretty sure 89 was 2 starts ago and 82 was yesterday.  So not exactly a ramp-up.  I was a bit annoyed that they yanked him after 82 yesterday, but whatever.  Clearly they're treading very carefully and not going to change.

In 2019 he threw 100 pitches once and 90+ a couple of other times.   Obviously they’re being extra careful this year.   He has at least 6 more starts to make, perhaps 9 if he’s moved to AAA.  My guess is they’ll continue to be conservative.