Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

Put me down as a fan of Team Rainout for tonight.   Starting to get heavy rain in NoVa now; Bowie hourly forecast has 82/31/64 hourly precip odds 600-800.   Same hourly outlook has Bowie rain generally lasting until about 300 tomorrow afternoon, diminishing by evening.

No idea how good drainage at PG Stadium is, and sure players would hate the 6-hour bus ride without the off day, as factors I guess in favor of trying to squeeze it in.    The super friendly travel schedule for regular season stopped almost all of the Ride and Play days.

Minor league playoffs for me were more about the psychobabble than the work, so I was disappointed with this week's process before the outcomes happened.

He had plenty of rest for Game 1 in good weather before tonight's sloppy weather, and near perfect game or not, would have had Westburg's 1-0 lead to try and protect against Battenfield.    Making your team a winner when the Bats go 1-for-28 is like Ace nirvana.   Fenter had a few nice September turns, but c'mon man.

I somewhat feel like the org didn't really want him to pitch this week (he'd hit his quota), never mind the Tuesday/Sunday temptation if the series went five.   At 70 pitches/turn, I don't feel the process is so precise that perhaps a 25% chance at Turn 25 atop Turn 24 had to be declined.

Anyway, just a footnote, and gives him something to be ornery about going into the offseason.

Is this the best season by an Orioles pitching prospect ever?

Rodriguez 2021 103 IP of 2.36 and 160K, or Bundy 2012 104 IP of 2.08 and 119K?   Rodriguez at 21 feels a little sturdier than Bundy at 19, though hindsight obviously tough to filter out there.

A generation ago '91 Mussina was 122 innings of 2.87 with 3 complete games in the minors before 87 dazzling debut innings, but that's the story of an Age 22 season.   Even Matusz got one Shutout in his 2009 (1.91 in 113 IP).    I think had Rodriguez been an NCAA guy this summer he'd have been more on the Strasburg side of the football field than the Mussina/Matusz one.

@OrioleDog, I think Matt Riley 1999 deserves consideration.   At 19, he pitched 177 innings (!) between Hi A and AA to a 3.05 ERA, and struck out 189 batters.   The rate stats aren’t at Grayson’s level, but for a 19-year old to bear that workload and spend most of the year in AA is pretty special.    

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• the question isn’t about being able to make the offers, it’s about being awarded compensatory picks for more than one.
    • I don’t consider a 4 o’clock game a night game. He also caught Wednesday night and Thursday day this week. Moral of the story is McCann will start 4 games in 7 days because he is Burnes preferred catcher.
    • It is absolutely possible. In 2022, the Mets gave a QO to Bassitt, Nikki, and DeGrom. The Red Sox gave a QO to Boegarts and Eovaldi. The Yankees gave a QO to Judge and Rizzo. The Dodgers gave a QO to Turner and Anderson. I know that it seems to be a foregone conclusion that Santander will not be on the team after this season, and while I generally agree that it is more probable than not that he will not be re-signed, I do think there is a non-zero chance that he will be retained. I think he is the most likely of Mullins, Hays, and himself to be retained, even if it is a small chance. The team has told us how they feel about his bat because he plays essentially everyday, and I have heard Kostka say that they value his clubhouse presence.
    • Santander won’t get a QO, and if he did, he would accept. His defense is declining and we have too many capable youngsters who should replace him effectively. But to your question, I don’t know if there’s a limit, but I doubt it.
    • O's will probably have to wait till July for a trade because there are so many more buyers than sellers.  I think teams like the Blue Jays, Rays Tigers and Mets are likely to be sellers but they are still in the race although not very good teams as constituted. 
    • No Scott. He’s way too undependable. We need someone who WON’T enter a game and walk folks like he’s promoting a healthy lifestyle. He’s been a lot bette4 this season, but he’s too undependable, and we already have too many of those. No Flaherty either. That’s like taking your GF back after she cheated on you.
    • The team's continued success has really put Elias on the spot IMO and I don't see a Flaherty type as an option anymore.  My money is on a sensible trade that comes at a price high enough that most of us here, including myself, won't like, but a premium comes with having bad luck and that's where the O's are at the moment.
  • Popular Contributors