Early takes on Trey Mancini?

Frobby

The good: 3 HR and 10 RBI in 13 games, .225 ISO so far.   Two of his homers were 425+ feet.    Exit velocity on his homers was excellent.   

The bad: .163 BA, 25.5% K rate.    Chase rate is in the 16 percentile, whiff rate 14th percentile.   

Some bad luck on batted balls so far, XBA is .255 compared to .163 actual and XWOBA is .361 compared to .271 actual WOBA.

Bottom line, the raw material seems to be there, Trey just needs to get his strike zone judgment back to his usual standards.   He’s swinging at more pitches outside the zone than usual, and taking more pitches inside the zone than usual.   

He also needs to ease up on himself a little.   I’ve already seen 3-4 times where he’s shown demonstrable frustration after a bad at bat or a bad outcome.   Trey is an intense guy but it’s usually a bad sign for him when he’s having that kind of reaction too often.   

My gut feeling is he will find his rhythm pretty soon and have a good season.   

• Upvote 2

I think it's a matter of getting his timing down and feeling more comfortable at the plate.  He has hit some hard balls that have been caught or fielded.  Eventually more of those will start finding holes.  He's just working to get back into major league form after a year off.  I think he'll be okay.  The one thing that I have noticed - he seems to have lost a lot of his running speed.  He was never accused of being a "fast" runner, but he looks less fast than before.

4 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I think it's a matter of getting his timing down and feeling more comfortable at the plate.  He has hit some hard balls that have been caught or fielded.  Eventually more of those will start finding holes.  He's just working to get back into major league form after a year off.  I think he'll be okay.  The one thing that I have noticed - he seems to have lost a lot of his running speed.  He was never accused of being a "fast" runner, but he looks less fast than before.

Per Statcast his sprint speed has been the same so far (26.7).   

o

(vs. MARLINS, 4/20)

NUMBER 4

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI III

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI III

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI III

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI III

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI III

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI III

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI III

o