DJ Stewart’s arm

Frobby

I thought this tidbit from Roch was interesting, explaining why Stewart has been playing RF:

Hays can cover more ground [than Stewart], but Hyde sees similar arm strength - though he’s described Hays’ as “plus-plus.” The Yankees would know, since he’s thrown out two runners in the series.

They both throw well, so either one can play right field,” Hyde said. “I’m comfortable with Austin in all three spots. He’s comfortable anywhere. I just kind of want to make it a little bit easier on DJ, playing one spot for a while.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/hays-in-left-field-and-stewart-in-right-becoming-familiar-setup.html

In the minors, Stewart had a rep of having a weak arm, though I think he showed improvement over the years.   I feel like I still occasionally see a weak throw from him, but has his arm actually improved to the point where we can say he “throws well?”   Or is this just manager-speak?

I agree that with his range, Hays should be in left and Stewart in right at Camden Yards and probably most every other stadium except for Fenway. Put another way, it is a waste of Hays' range to put him in right field, even if he does have a "plus plus" arm.

The difference between their arms is not nearly as great as the difference between their ranges.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not as strong as Hays

Clearly not.   I think calling Hays’ arm “plus plus” is not much of an exaggeration.    It’s both strong and very accurate, and Hays also gets rid of the ball quickly.  He’s got the best arm we’ve had in the OF since Jones and Markakis were in their defensive primes.    

Santander also has a very good arm.   

Stewart is below both of them but may have progressed to the point where you’d call his arm decent.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I thought this tidbit from Roch was interesting, explaining why Stewart has been playing RF:

Hays can cover more ground [than Stewart], but Hyde sees similar arm strength - though he’s described Hays’ as “plus-plus.” The Yankees would know, since he’s thrown out two runners in the series.

They both throw well, so either one can play right field,” Hyde said. “I’m comfortable with Austin in all three spots. He’s comfortable anywhere. I just kind of want to make it a little bit easier on DJ, playing one spot for a while.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/hays-in-left-field-and-stewart-in-right-becoming-familiar-setup.html

In the minors, Stewart had a rep of having a weak arm, though I think he showed improvement over the years.   I feel like I still occasionally see a weak throw from him, but has his arm actually improved to the point where we can say he “throws well?”   Or is this just manager-speak?

It's a little bit of manager speak but Stewart can be all over the place with his throws. He can show average arm strength at times but has also made some really bad throws which is why his scouting reports are all over the place with his arm. Hays has a much better arm. I'd rate Hays' arm at 65 and Stewart 45 due to his consistencies. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's a little bit of manager speak but Stewart can be all over the place with his throws. He can show average arm strength at times but has also made some really bad throws which is why his scouting reports are all over the place with his arm. Hays has a much better arm. I'd rate Hays' arm at 65 and Stewart 45 due to his consistencies. 

How would you rate Santander, Mullins and Mountcastle?

Total manager speak, Stewart has an extremely weak arm and not very accurate either. A few games ago he made a throw from medium LF to I think home plate where he came running in with a full head of steam and max windup and missed home plate by 30 feet (and the cutoff man). I will never see the fascination with Stewart except for his "pedigree" as a former first round pick. He is not a ML caliber player. Please get well Anthony so we don't have to see Stewart get starts in the OF

18 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Total manager speak, Stewart has an extremely weak arm and not very accurate either. A few games ago he made a throw from medium LF to I think home plate where he came running in with a full head of steam and max windup and missed home plate by 30 feet (and the cutoff man). I will never see the fascination with Stewart except for his "pedigree" as a former first round pick. He is not a ML caliber player. Please get well Anthony so we don't have to see Stewart get starts in the OF

I don’t think many people are fascinated with Stewart.    But I would say you’re obsessed with his negative aspects.   Nobody here thinks he should be starting over Hays, Santander or Mullins.  But he’s been worth 0.9 rWAR, 0.6 fWAR in 106 games, which qualifies him as a major league caliber player who could improve with more experience.   

Saying that, it’s possible he’ll be off our roster in a year as other players develop.   We’ll see how Diaz, McKenna and maybe Kjerstad come along.  

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How would you rate Santander, Mullins and Mountcastle?

Santander is a 60 arm, Mullins a 45 (he's shown some throws though that would be 50 on occasion and some that would be 40), Mountcastle is a 40 but can be a 45 or flash a 50 if he can goes to his right and then throws with his long arm action. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think many people are fascinated with Stewart.    But I would say you’re obsessed with his negative aspects.   Nobody here thinks he should be starting over Hays, Santander or Mullins.  But he’s been worth 0.9 rWAR, 0.6 fWAR in 106 games, which qualifies him as a major league caliber player who could improve with more experience.   

Saying that, it’s possible he’ll be off our roster in a year as other players develop.   We’ll see how Diaz, McKenna and maybe Kjerstad come along.  

Of all the outfielders and pseudo-outfielders we have, Stewart is the most likely to go. Mountcastle will move to 1B/Dh until/unless he’s traded, which leaves us with 4-5 genuine, though fragile, outfielders.