Arguably a bigger feat than the no hitter...

Frobby

The first pitch strikes were an important reason he threw the no hitter,  therefore a huge part of it.  Batters always down in the count  were then at Means mercy for the following pitches. It was a real pitching clinic.    

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I want to know why it was a wild pitch instead of a passed ball. I watch that play several times and there’s no way it should’ve gotten away from Severino.

It hit the ground. If it hits the ground before reaching the catcher it’s a WP 99.99% of the time. Fair or unfair that’s the way it is. 

44 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

It hit the ground. If it hits the ground before reaching the catcher it’s a WP 99.99% of the time. Fair or unfair that’s the way it is. 

Pretty sure it hit the ground underneath him.  But i agree with your point that a ball that bounces in the same zip code of the catcher is probably going to be called a WP.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

Understood, but it was right in front of him and didn’t take any awkward hop.

I know, and I agree it should have been blocked. It’s just one of those things that’s always scored a certain way. It’s like a muffed fly ball where the fielder doesn’t get a glove on it. Usually ruled a hit even though that’s completely unfair to the pitcher. Touched the glove though? Error. 

29 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

I know, and I agree it should have been blocked. It’s just one of those things that’s always scored a certain way. It’s like a muffed fly ball where the fielder doesn’t get a glove on it. Usually ruled a hit even though that’s completely unfair to the pitcher. Touched the glove though? Error. 

I would venture a guess that it would have been scored differently if it had happened in the 8th inning of a no-hitter instead of the third.

@Frobby

He struck out 12 and induced 26 swings and misses. He threw first-pitch strikes to a remarkable 26 of the 27 batters he faced -- the highest percentage of first-pitch strikes in a complete game in the pitch-tracking era (since 1988).

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31395714/baltimore-orioles-john-means-pitches-no-hitter-vs-seattle-mariners-misses-perfect-game-wild-pitch

Also:

Means' first-pitch strike rate was the highest for any complete game of the pitch-count era (since 1988), which sounds like a mark Maddux might have held. (It actually was James Shields, who threw 92.9% first-pitch strikes in a 2011 game. Good luck beating Means' 96.3%).

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, owknows said:

I would venture a guess that it would have been scored differently if it had happened in the 8th inning of a no-hitter instead of the third.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter how it’s scored in terms of the no hitter. It would be a no hitter and not a perfect game either way. But yeah pitcher probably gets the benefit of the doubt if it’s later in the game. 

9 hours ago, Hallas said:

Pretty sure it hit the ground underneath him.  But i agree with your point that a ball that bounces in the same zip code of the catcher is probably going to be called a WP.

Whenever I’m evaluating a catcher’s pitch blocking skills, I always look at how many wild pitches occur on their watch.   Some WP’s are beyond the catcher’s control, but I’d say the majority can be blocked. 

Wieters in his defensive prime was unbelievably good at preventing WP.   In 2011 for example, the O’s allowed the 4th most walks in the league, but were dead last in wild pitches allowed, by a wide margin.

I am not a habitual Severino-basher, but that is a very weak part of his game.