Zach Lowther

accinfo

On 5/11/2021 at 11:08 AM, UMDTerrapins said:

Can we fix the thread title to spell his name correctly? 

I'm serious about this. He had a 2.55 ERA in AA in 2019. He pitched four scoreless innings in spring training. He had a scoreless outing in his ML debut. And then this thread came along spelling his first name wrong. Since then between ML and AAA he has a 16.20 ERA. Don't make a small sample size rebuttal, there's clearly correlation. In the name of all things holy, fix the thread title and give the man his career back!

• Upvote 1

As an aside, I do think Zac is really getting shuffled around in a way that’s not good for his readiness.  So far he’s thrown only 14.1 professional innings this season.   He’s only pitched once since May 19.    It would be nice for him to get some consistent innings somewhere.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As an aside, I do think Zac is really getting shuffled around in a way that’s not good for his readiness.  So far he’s thrown only 14.1 professional innings this season.   He’s only pitched once since May 19.    It would be nice for him to get some consistent innings somewhere.   

I agree it's only a waste of Zac's development time to call him up and immediately send him back down without letting him pitch. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yea, it’s stupid and a disservice to the kid.

Bring him up here and keep him up.  WE SUCK and he’s ready.  Give him a chance FFS.

20 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I'm serious about this. He had a 2.55 ERA in AA in 2019. He pitched four scoreless innings in spring training. He had a scoreless outing in his ML debut. And then this thread came along spelling his first name wrong. Since then between ML and AAA he has a 16.20 ERA. Don't make a small sample size rebuttal, there's clearly correlation. In the name of all things holy, fix the thread title and give the man his career back!

And I believe his middle name is spelled Afterthought.  But seriously <rimshot> - as SG just said - It makes absolutely no sense that he hasn't and isn't being given a legitimate chance in Baltimore.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, it’s stupid and a disservice to the kid.

Bring him up here and keep him up.  WE SUCK and he’s ready.  Give him a chance FFS.

I agree. We’ve got a bunch of fringy guys (Lowther, Kremer, Zimmerman, Akin, Wells x 2) that are going to get squeezed out of opportunity in the near future by our more acclaimed and hard throwing prospects. But that is not a dumpster dive group by any means (pardon the pun). Knowing that they’re window to show what they can do is closing, I’m all for releasing Harvey, Lopez to the pen, and run these guys out there. Let’s see what we’ve got. 

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I agree. We’ve got a bunch of fringy guys (Lowther, Kremer, Zimmerman, Akin, Wells x 2) that are going to get squeezed out of opportunity in the near future by our more acclaimed and hard throwing prospects. But that is not a dumpster dive group by any means (pardon the pun). Knowing that they’re window to show what they can do is closing, I’m all for releasing Harvey, Lopez to the pen, and run these guys out there. Let’s see what we’ve got. 

Yea, I don’t really get what Elias is doing with the roster.

If I had a real complaint about him (and this is something that has nothing to do with ownership, this is him and his staff), I don’t understand the roster at all.

First of all, the 40 man roster is total sh**.  Secondly, you keep telling everyone that you aren’t trying to win and you keep telling everyone that your window will be opening and that you like these arms And yet, when they show they are ready and the “proven players” you have up here show you that they suck, you stick with them and yo yo the kids and do them a disservice.  It’s just dumb.  There isn’t logic behind it.

Its just awful Management and poor use of your roster and the resources you have.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

(Lowther, Kremer, Zimmerman, Akin, Wells )

Next year these guys are probably  in the pen.

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I don’t really get what Elias is doing with the roster.

If I had a real complaint about him (and this is something that has nothing to do with ownership, this is him and his staff), I don’t understand the roster at all.

First of all, the 40 man roster is total sh**.  Secondly, you keep telling everyone that you aren’t trying to win and you keep telling everyone that your window will be opening and that you like these arms And yet, when they show they are ready and the “proven players” you have up here show you that they suck, you stick with them and yo yo the kids and do them a disservice.  It’s just dumb.  There isn’t logic behind it.

Its just awful Management and poor use of your roster and the resources you have.

I've been so happy with the infusion of talent in the organization, and the development side, and all of the other meaningful improvements, that I've been giving a pass to some warning signs. I think he's done a really solid job at the kinds of tasks that he's previously performed at Houston. He's terrific at the micro, but as the top dog, I wonder about his macro thinking. Why aren't we running these you guys out there? How are we going to protect all of these rotation guys as well as the rotation guys who are coming on the 40 man? You can't stuff them all in the bullpen. If we're ultimately going to have to deal some of these guys, shouldn't we get them as many starts as we can in this window to find out what we have, and possibly build some value in them? How frustrating is it to develop a starter in your system for years only to jettison them when the finally have matured to the majors, and watch them become solid regulars for someone else? We're going to find out. At this juncture, what possible reason is there to start Harvey over these guys? No we didn't develop Pop, but he is a guy who should be auditioning in the closer role for us at this point instead of a 36 year old soft tossing journeyman. Weird to be so committed to protecting a guy like Sceroler and not protect a guy like Pop. Roster management is a real concern to me, and it feels like Elias is learning on the job. My gut tells me we're headed towards more Pop-like decisions with this first wave of starter prospects.