Patrick Dorrian?

bpilktree

I'm not sure I've seen him hit a ground ball. He lifts everything. Before he K'd in one AB tonight, he hit a foul ball that didn't miss being an opposite field HR by very much. I'd like to see him some more against some lefties....Bowie has faced very little LHP so far. 

I just took notice of his 5 HR including grand slam last night. Surprised I hadn't registered the name and he is starting 3B for our AA team. Career .820 OPS with 17 HR and 13 SB in 600 ABs, so he's got some pop and athleticism. Acquired in the Yefry Ramirez trade.

He has a nice compact swing with good lift. A better hitter at this level than I think anyone anticipated. But can he hit lefties? The few at-bats I've seen against lefties he seemed much more defensive at the plate. Not the same hitter who is looking to pounce against righties. I think his defense is fairly good at third. He's gobbled up everything I've seen hit to him, and even made some really nice barehanded plays. His throwing is a problem. Not his arm strength, he has that. But he does this odd quick release on his throws before he's gotten his feet set. It's great in that the time in between gloving the ball and getting off the throw is very quick. But his accuracy with it is......well....umm....bad. He needs to address it because it's going to hold him back. Despite his hot start there's no reason to consider a promotion to AAA. He needs to prove he can sustain his production, and he's got those two very big issues to address. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

He has a nice compact swing with good lift. A better hitter at this level than I think anyone anticipated. But can he hit lefties? The few at-bats I've seen against lefties he seemed much more defensive at the plate. Not the same hitter who is looking to pounce against righties. I think his defense is fairly good at third. He's gobbled up everything I've seen hit to him, and even made some really nice barehanded plays. His throwing is a problem. Not his arm strength, he has that. But he does this odd quick release on his throws before he's gotten his feet set. It's great in that the time in between gloving the ball and getting off the throw is very quick. But his accuracy with it is......well....umm....bad. He needs to address it because it's going to hold him back. Despite his hot start there's no reason to consider a promotion to AAA. He needs to prove he can sustain his production, and he's got those two very big issues to address. 

As always very nice report.   Keep them coming.  They are valuable to us O's diehards.

I would hope that the lack on hitting vs lefties and the throwing problems do not hold him back from a promotion in a few weeks.  Thanks for the report on the arm strength and fielding.   A 1200 OPS vs righties is enough for me to want to see him promoted.  He can work on his problems at AAA.   I just want to see if he can be as successful  hitting at AAA.

• Upvote 2