Patrick Dorrian?

bpilktree

59 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As always very nice report.   Keep them coming.  They are valuable to us O's diehards.

I would hope that the lack on hitting vs lefties and the throwing problems do not hold him back from a promotion in a few weeks.  Thanks for the report on the arm strength and fielding.   A 1200 OPS vs righties is enough for me to want to see him promoted.  He can work on his problems at AAA.   I just want to see if he can be as successful  hitting at AAA.

Thanks wildcard...much appreciated! 

The wrinkle with the decision to promote him or not is that he's prematurely Rule V eligible this offseason because of his backing out of his contract with Atlanta when they originally signed him. I'm not sure if getting a look at AAA factors into Elias deciding whether to protect him. Probably deserves its own thread, but there are a number of guys who will be eligible this offseason (DL Hall, Kyle Bradish, Terrin Vavra, Kevin Smith, Nick Vespi, Patrick Dorrian, Adam Stauffer, Adam Hall, Blaine Knight, Mason McCoy, Brett Cumberland, Ofelky Peralta). It's not a crisis, but it's going to be harder to protect guys we like. 

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would hope that the lack on hitting vs lefties and the throwing problems do not hold him back from a promotion in a few weeks.  Thanks for the report on the arm strength and fielding.   A 1200 OPS vs righties is enough for me to want to see him promoted.  He can work on his problems at AAA.   I just want to see if he can be as successful  hitting at AAA.

It’s been three weeks, and he doesn’t have a track record of hitting this well at the lower levels. So, if he has other issues, I’d be pretty patient and see where he’s at towards the end of June.   

• 1 month later...

Dorrian has quietly put together a 13 game hitting streak, hitting .400 in that span. Nice to see after the long slump that followed his red hot season start. Errors have gone down, but like I mentioned sometime in the past, almost all of his errors were throwing errors that seemed fixable if he cut down on his quick release and got his feet under him. Splits against lefties still ugly, but hopefully improving. 

• 4 weeks later...

Two homers tonight for Dorrian.  His BA isn’t real high (.246) but he gets on base a lot (OBP at about .380 now) and he’s got some power.  He’s one of many, many players showing a lot of development on offense this year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Two homers tonight for Dorrian.  His BA isn’t real high (.246) but he gets on base a lot (OBP at about .380 now) and he’s got some power.  He’s one of many, many players showing a lot of development on offense this year.  

Really nice to see him hit one of those against a lefty.....even if it was a hanging off speed pitch. If he improves against lefties he becomes a much more interesting prospect. 

57 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Isn't Dorrian 25?  I'd say it's past time he was sent to Norfolk.  BA isn't everything anymore.  If he can hit .220 with a decent OBP and some power, then he's of plenty of use to use if he can play some adequate defense. 

Promote him!!   To Norfolk.  

• 4 weeks later...

He's gotten on base at a high clip and hit for power all season.  He's 25 now.  There's a clear need at the major league level.  Especially for someone who can be serviceable over the next two seasons.  What's the hold up in moving him along to Norfolk? 

In May I had hopes of seeing him in Baltimore this season but he's been stuck in the mud. 

He's stuck in Bowie because his defense (mostly throwing errors) is not good. And because he doesn't hit lefties. And he hasn't really improved in either category during the season. What is interesting is that Dorrian has remained the regular 3B despite Westburg's arrival, with Westburg playing SS regularly rather than alternating. Not sure if that says more about them keeping Westburg at SS from now on, or how they value Dorrian. But when JW was promoted I wasn't sure if Dorrian was going to lose playing time. Nice to see that wasn't the case. 

17 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

He's stuck in Bowie because his defense (mostly throwing errors) is not good. And because he doesn't hit lefties. And he hasn't really improved in either category during the season. What is interesting is that Dorrian has remained the regular 3B despite Westburg's arrival, with Westburg playing SS regularly rather than alternating. Not sure if that says more about them keeping Westburg at SS from now on, or how they value Dorrian. But when JW was promoted I wasn't sure if Dorrian was going to lose playing time. Nice to see that wasn't the case. 

Jahmai Jones is by all accounts just as bad if not worse defensively at his position and he was allowed to learn on the job in Norfolk. 

Robert Neustrom hasn't been able to hit lefties and was promoted to Triple A.  

I'm not saying those aren't the reason he's been held back.  But if they are, the organization has been applying their standards inconsistently.  And considering he's hit better than either one of those aforementioned players, I have to suspect there is something else at play. 

36 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Jahmai Jones is by all accounts just as bad if not worse defensively at his position and he was allowed to learn on the job in Norfolk. 

Robert Neustrom hasn't been able to hit lefties and was promoted to Triple A.  

I'm not saying those aren't the reason he's been held back.  But if they are, the organization has been applying their standards inconsistently.  And considering he's hit better than either one of those aforementioned players, I have to suspect there is something else at play. 

I'm not sure if it's inconsistent since they're at different positions and different backgrounds. Dorrian had less than 600 minor league at bats before this season, and only a half season at High-A. I was really excited by the start of his season, before I noticed how defensive he is against lefties. He's slugging .288 against them, though he does walk at a good clip. Jones has had plenty of minor league seasoning, so I think their decision was to see if they can live with his defense whereas they might be hoping that Dorrian can still improve his throwing (terrible footwork). Neustrom hasn't hit much better against lefties, but doesn't have the same defensive issues. Not trying to pick apart your citations because they're good points, I'm just not so sure I'd have pitchforks out over it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He hit his 18th homer last night in Bowie. Does he get a shot at 3B in Norfolk next year?

No reason not to promote him next year IMO.   He’s had a solid season and should get a chance to show what he can do at the next level up.