Who’s next to go?

Philip

I’ve been saying for a long time the catchers both need replacing.

I would like some other guys to go, either down, or away, and be replaced with other guys who might be more productive, even if they aren’t. At least the guys up here have played themselves out of a spot, even if the guys down there have not necessarily played themselves into a spot. So what? 

Anybody you’d like to see go down or come up?

• Upvote 1

We are what we are for the moment. There really isn’t anyone in AAA to call up. We’ve seen Wynns. We could call up Abad for a bullpen spot. Bannon, Jones, and Cumberland, probably need some more AAA ABs. Even then, they aren’t difference makers. Tate and Hunter Harvey will be back eventually. 

We are what we are.  Players just need to produce. 

Aside from at obvious answer that people are still gonna try and debate about...

I want to see Mason McCoy come up and replace Franco. Put Stevie at 3rd and McCoy at second.

For pitching, bring up Konnor Wade. He’s been almost lights out for Norfolk and the bullpen needs all the help they can get. 

• Thanks 1

Norfolk is 4-14, so I don’t think there’s a lot of help there.  

Franco has really been pathetic, and just looking at him walk up to the plate, he looks like he’s 65 years old.   I’m ready for him to be gone, but I honestly don’t see a worthwhile replacement.   

I’d be fine with optioning Sisco and calling up Wynns or Cumberland.    

The minute Hunter Harvey is ready, I’d call him up to replace whoever.   

• Upvote 2

You have about a month to figure out the vet pitchers..who stays and who goes.

Armstrong, Matt Harvey, Lopez, Sulser and Valdez.

All of them could be DFa’ed or moved to the pen.

Those are the guys on the roster bubble right now.(not including Waddell with this because he’s probably a temp guy)

Likewise, you have the offensive players that are teetering:

Both catchers, Valaika and Franco.  Wilkerson as well but to a much lesser extent.

That’s 9 players...I suspect at least 5 of those 9 will either be off the team or, in the case of the starters, moved to the pen, within the next 4 weeks.

Vavra (or Jones), Lowther, Vespi and Cumberland are a few names who could be up.

Hunter Harvey is obviously replacing someone within the next few weeks, assuming he doesn’t get hurt before then.

For the organization, this year is all about development in the minors.  I really like what I'm seeing in all levels up to Bowie.  Norfolk, on the other hand, stinks as much as the Orioles.  There isn't much there.  Right now, we're just shuffling deck chairs and seeing who might get traded (eg Means) and who might have success out of nowhere (eg Means).

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Norfolk is 4-14, so I don’t think there’s a lot of help there.  

Franco has really been pathetic, and just looking at him walk up to the plate, he looks like he’s 65 years old.   I’m ready for him to be gone, but I honestly don’t see a worthwhile replacement.   

I’d be fine with optioning Sisco and calling up Wynns or Cumberland.    

The minute Hunter Harvey is ready, I’d call him up to replace whoever.   

They need Wynns to catch Scott. Nasty stuff that goes right to the backstop right now.

Armstrong and Matt Harvey's time is about up.   Watkins and Wade possible replacements.

McCoy is a likely replacement for Franco.  I think he can handle 3rd defensively.

They need Tate back.

The downfall of the pitching staff can be tracked to Holt's leaving.   Holmes/Cossins are not enough to hold the staff together.   The O's have to add someone to the organization that can be there when and if Holt is not available.  Keeping this staff together requires equal parts of mental and physical coaching.

I want to see Hunter Harvey be successful at AAA before he returns.   Him pitching poorly will not be of help.

I’d like to see Abad given a chance. Only because he might have some trade value. Admittedly very small. I get that we want relievers that can go multiple IP, but Abad at least of MLB quality. 

Other than that, Harvey and Tate when healthy. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They need Wynns to catch Scott. Nasty stuff that goes right to the backstop right now.

Armstrong and Matt Harvey's time is about up.   Watkins and Wade possible replacements.

McCoy is a likely replacement for Franco.  I think he can handle 3rd defensively.

They need Tate back.

The downfall of the pitching staff can be tracked to Holt's leaving.   Holmes/Cossins are not enough to hold the staff together.   The O's have to add someone to the organization that can be there when and if Holt is not available.  Keeping this staff together requires equal parts of mental and physical coaching.

I want to see Hunter Harvey be successful at AAA before he returns.   Him pitching poorly will not be of help.

What?  I have nothing against Holt but give me the Dodgers staff and I’m a better pitching coach than Holt. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d like to see Abad given a chance. Only because he might have some trade value. Admittedly very small. I get that we want relievers that can go multiple IP, but Abad at least of MLB quality. 

Abad was pretty effective vs lefties but the 3 batter rule has hurt his ability to help a major league team.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

What?  I have nothing against Holt but give me the Dodgers staff and I’m a better pitching coach than Holt. 

A staff of talented pitchers is always preferable.   But it takes a guy like Holt to hold together a staff like what the O's have.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A staff of talented pitchers is always preferable.   But it takes a guy like Holt to hold together a staff like what the O's have.

I don’t believe that a short absence by the pitching coach should cause a staff to fall apart.