Kremer sent to AAA; Hays on IL...again!

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t disagree with you but it also could be a function of these guys just not being that good, at least not good enough to be starters in the majors.

It’s not like any of those guys were labeled can’t miss or that they highly rated guys everyone thought were MOR guys.  

They developed Means.  The lower level pitching is developing well.  Why would the development all of a sudden be bad in the majors?  It’s the same plan being implemented.  It’s the same tech being used.  The same philosophies.

It could easily be that these guys just aren’t good.

Well said.  They were billed as middle of the rotation starters at best.

I just don't see it with guys like Akin and Baumann.  Middling stuff.  No special fastball, no special secondary offerings.  I don't think they're that good.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t love Kremer being demoted but I mind it less now than I did back in April. I would still rather see him stay here but I understand it a little more now than before.

He has got to improve his FB command.  

He wasn’t great last night, but he got totally screwed by the home plate umpire during the endless second inning.  Numerous strikes in quality locations called balls.  

You don’t give up on Hays because quite frankly, you have no one else to turn to right now.

However, you also don’t have any plan moving forward where he is a starter.  If he forces that, so be it but you don’t write him down for anything either.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  I've never been high on DJ Stewart but quite frankly his plate discipline is one thing thats appealing, especially in comping him to a guy like Mountcastle.  And he hits homers in bunches, as we've seen.

I kind of hated the pick at the time and never really thought all that much of DJ until last year when he posted a .800+ OPS despite a sub-.200 Avg, which compelled me to take a closer look at him. His walk rate and ISO are both quite good, borderline excellent, so if the guy could just make contact more consistently (easier said than done, I know), he could be a legitimate MOO hitter for a competitive team.

I kind of wonder if having him stash his glove in the back of his locker and DH full time might allow him to finally put it all together as a hitter. If so, he could be something along the lines of a Discount David Ortiz for us.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t disagree with you but it also could be a function of these guys just not being that good, at least not good enough to be starters in the majors.

It’s not like any of those guys were labeled can’t miss or that they highly rated guys everyone thought were MOR guys.  

They developed Means.  The lower level pitching is developing well.  Why would the development all of a sudden be bad in the majors?  It’s the same plan being implemented.  It’s the same tech being used.  The same philosophies.

It could easily be that these guys just aren’t good.

Kremer is more disappointing than Akin, imo. Kremer had better AA numbers, not by a lot but pretty much across the board. Kremer essentially skipped AAA versus Akin having pretty poor AAA numbers. Based on Akin's AAA I pretty much expected him to suck in MLB. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Kremer is more disappointing than Akin, imo. Kremer had better AA numbers, not by a lot but pretty much across the board. Kremer essentially skipped AAA versus Akin having pretty poor AAA numbers. Based on Akin's AAA I pretty much expected him to suck in MLB. 

I don’t really agree with much of this post.

Akin had really solid MiL numbers, even in AAA.  His ERA was high in 2019 but he was also 6th in ERA amongst starters who qualified that year.  His peripherals were pretty good.

His issue has always been walks.  He strikes out more guys and misses more bats than Kremer.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Akin had really solid MiL numbers, even in AAA.  His ERA was high in 2019 but he was also 6th in ERA amongst starters who qualified that year.  His peripherals were pretty good.

His issue has always been walks.  He strikes out more guys and misses more bats than Kremer.

Kremer AA 3.3 BB/9, 9.9 K/9, 2.69 ERA, 1.204 WHIP

Akin AA 3.9 BB/9, 9.3 K/9, 3.27 ERA, 1.249 WHIP

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Watching the lack of improvement by Kremer and Akin makes me more and more concerned about the Orioles current developmental staff at the high levels. Add in the inconsistencies of Zimmermann, and we have not seen any of them improve on anything. Heck, throw in Tanner Scott's bouts of wildness again and who has become better or more consistent? 

I just see a lot of failure of our young prospects at the major league level this year.

I get that it’s specifically a concern with lack of improvement, but Akin and Zimmerman have never really been viewed as more than swingmen/depth pieces. 
Kremer on the other hand seems almost to have regressed, but I’m still hopeful he can figure it out.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The run-scoring environment in AAA that year was way above AA because the AAA leagues were using major league baseballs that were really juiced that year.   

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I get that it’s specifically a concern with lack of improvement, but Akin and Zimmerman have never really been viewed as more than swingmen/depth pieces. 
Kremer on the other hand seems almost to have regressed, but I’m still hopeful he can figure it out.

There are many in the organization, including Elias before 2020 (maybe still but I had the conversation with him after the 2019 season) who liked Akin better than Kremer and Lowther.

I'm the one who has never been too high on Akin and think he'll be better in relief, but he must improve his command because he makes too many mistakes in the middle of the plate.