Something that’s been driving me crazy this week

Frobby

We all know the Orioles have not been hitting well with RISP this week.    That’s frustrating, but it happens.    RISP hitting is always inconsistent.   

But here’s what irritates me: I count nine times in the last four games that the O’s have had a runner on 2B and nobody out.   In seven of those instances, the runner not only didn’t score, he never even advanced to 3B.    

The chances of scoring at least one run with a runner on 2B and nobody out is roughly 60%.    We are at 22% the last four games.   And the at bats with nobody out have been so pathetic most of the time.   Four strikeouts among the 9 opportunities.   Just hit the damned ball somewhere!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

We all know the Orioles have not been hitting well with RISP this week.    That’s frustrating, but it happens.    RISP hitting is always inconsistent.   

But here’s what irritates me: I count nine times in the last four games that the O’s have had a runner on 2B and nobody out.   In seven of those instances, the runner not only didn’t score, he never even advanced to 3B.    

The chances of scoring at least one run with a runner on 2B and nobody out is roughly 60%.    We are at 22% the last four games.   And the at bats with nobody out have been so pathetic most of the time.   Four strikeouts among the 9 opportunities.   Just hit the damned ball somewhere!

They could hit it right at the second baseman for a double play so you don't have to watch another at bat with a runner in scoring position.

Yeah it is unfortunate that baseball has become home run or bust. It’d be neat to see at least one throwback style batter capable of hitting it to all fields. The fact that shifts are so prevalent is more indicative of batters not being able to do anything but swing the only way they know how. I mean, you have the whole side of a field sometimes vacant and they can’t just wait on a pitch and go the other way with it? It’s frustrating. Hell, a lot of batters can’t even bunt. Worst of all, situational baseball becomes an afterthought. That’s the core reason why baseball is such an amazing sport. It’s the thinking man’s game. Now it’s just who can hit it the farthest and throw it the fastest. Pretty lame.

Edited by Explosivo

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They do hit the ball with RISP, sometimes -- popups and short fly balls. It sure looks like most of the guys on this team either (a) see runners on base as an opportunity to hit a multi-RBI homer, and accordingly overswing, are overly aggressive on pitches out of the zone, and put the ball in the air when they do make contact, or (b) are so overmatched by pitch velocity or pitch movement that they have to struggle to make contact, so that's all they're trying to do. A lot of the recent ABs with RISP are those where Oriole hitters not only don't get a hit, but look like they don't belong in the major leagues (and some of them probably don't).

I assume Don Long is a competent hitting coach, but it sure seems that whatever he's teaching is not getting through to a lot of the young guys.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know whether The pitching is just so good, hitting is so bad or there’s something wrong with situational hearing. I do not know whether statistics have shown that one homerun at a random time during the game is better than four singles at random times during the game: a HR guarantees one run, possibly up to four. Four singles guarantees nothing, but possibly up to 8 runs or more.

But singles are much more exciting, They create more base path activity, they create more tension, more strategy and more possibility. I don’t know if hitting coaches are emphasizing power and distance or contact and location, And I don’t know whether our particular hitters are just bad or not. I’m inclined to think our guys are just bad, and that is one reason I would like to bring up other guys.

Edited by Philip
Clarification

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t know whether The pitching is just so good, hitting is so bad or there’s something wrong with situational hearing. I do not know whether statistics have shown that one homerun at a random time during the game is better than four singles at random times during the game: a HR guarantees one run, possibly up to four. Four singles guarantees nothing, but possibly up to 8 runs or more.

But singles are much more exciting, They create more base path activity, they create more tension, more strategy and more possibility. I don’t know if hitting coaches are emphasizing power and distance or contact and location, And I don’t know whether our particular hitters are just bad or not. I’m inclined to think our guys are just bad, and that is one reason I would like to bring up other guys.

Wouldn’t you have to believe that players are being instructed to hit only for power? It’s a bit embarrassing to see dramatic defensive shifts like we have seen and zero change to player’s swings. If they have you shifted to pull the ball, for the love of God, wait on the pitch. Is it an ego thing of who can hit the most home runs? Is it a contract thing? Is it just how MLB coaches coach? I am very curious why defensive shifts are so effective. Can you think of a batter currently playing that can beat the shift? Embarrassing.

• Thanks 1

I mean, they deadened the ball. And a lot of guys changed their swings because of the launch angle revolution and the juiced balls the last couple years made that work but now they're kinda stuck. Offense is down league wide and no hitters are a nightly possibility. And of course our talent level is bottom barrel.

Just now, Finisher said:

I mean, they deadened the ball. And a lot of guys changed their swings because of the launch angle revolution and the juiced balls the last couple years made that work but now they're kinda stuck. Offense is down league wide and no hitters are a nightly possibility. And of course our talent level is bottom barrel.

You are a hitter a few years ago.  The defenders keep getting more athletic.  The defensive positioning keeps improving.  The pitchers keep throwing harder.  They juice up the ball.

What else are you going to do?  Of course you are going to adjust your swing for power. 

4 minutes ago, Finisher said:

All the starting pitchers in yesterday's 15 MLB games combined for an 0.94 WHIP.

Heard that was some kind of modern day record.

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

Don't sell us short.  It's not top shelf talent to be sure.  But Javy Baez hasn't beaten our infield to second base after getting in a run down between 1st and home and calling the advancing runner safe at home before scampering off...

I gotta think thats getting close to bottom barrel.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What else are you going to do?  Of course you are going to adjust your swing for power.

Yep, you would've been a fool not to adjust. MLB should just ban the shift and use balls somewhere in between this year's variety and the past couple years.

11 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Yep, you would've been a fool not to adjust. MLB should just ban the shift and use balls somewhere in between this year's variety and the past couple years.

I don't think the shift is that much of an issue really.

I think the real problem is the K rate.

I'd start off actually enforcing the ban on "grip enhancers" and go from there.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the shift is that much of an issue really.

I think the real problem is the K rate.

I'd start off actually enforcing the ban on "grip enhancers" and go from there.

Yeah, either enforce the ban or establish legal "grip enhancers" and ban the rest. Otherwise it is an arms race.