When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

Frobby

When should the O’s call up Rutschman?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

• Now - he’s as ready as he needs to be and will benefit from the experience
    • Later this summer if he continues to do well in AA
    • He should get promoted to AAA soon and get called up later if he does well there
    • September call-up, only if he keeps doing well
    • Opening Day 2022
    • Not until service time deadline for free agency passes in 2022
    • Not until Super-2 status is likely passed in 2022

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/21 at 01:11

Adley Rutschman is currently hitting .277/.445/.530 at Bowie, with 6 homers, 20 RBI, 23 BB and 21 K’s in 24 games and 110 PA.   Obviously, he is showing great plate discipline and a lot of power.    There have been some reports that he’s vulnerable to well placed high fastballs.   But, the majority of his strikeouts occurred in his first 6 games, when he struck out 11 times in 29 PA.   Since then, he’s had only 10 K’s in 81 PA.

You could argue that he’s shown he’s ready enough that he wouldn’t be overwhelmed by the big leagues.   You could even argue that he’s already better than Severino/Wynns/Sisco.   Certainly, there’s no way to inow without trying it.  

Still, if you call him up you start his service clock, and it’s not like the O’s will contend this year with him, or even sniff .500.    And, perhaps there is more to learn in AA and/or AAA that would help him to be more ready when he does make his major league debut.  

So, what would you do?   I think we ran a similar poll in the offseason, but now we have a month of data on Rutschman and we can see where things stand with the team and the other catchers.    Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

There's no reason to promote him to the big leagues now. I'd rather he develop a working relationship w/pitchers like DL Hall and Grayson Rodriguez and bring them all up together. I can't imagine those two pitchers are going to need much more time in the minors.

I can’t really vote adequately because I don’t have all the facts, but I’ve been voting since I was 18 and that never stopped me before.

I have no problem with playing the service time game, so I don’t wanna call him up too early, but for me the main thing is how does he handle off speed stuff. I have been told that is the big deal, that minor-league Pitching offspeed stuff is not nearly as good as major-league off speed stuff, and that’s what trips up the guys. I have no idea how will he hits curveballs are breaking balls or slurves or whatever they are called, But given appropriate attention to service time, I think how well he hits those should be the arbiter.

• Haha 2

I'll go with September call up, since it's already June now and AR has yet to play in Norfolk. Even though a case could be made that AR could skip AAA, but with the O's being this bad I don't know if it makes sense like when Manny got called up from Bowie in 2012. 

I'm hoping the service time games get eliminated in the next bargaining agreement, so future top prospects don't get held down in an effort to maximize their service time before free agency. 

• Upvote 1

My hope is that he is with Bowie until the All Star Break, he and Hall are called up to AAA at that point and if they succeed over the next six weeks are called up around September 1 and are up for good. If they tread water at AAA, they stay there through next May, assuming that the new CBA gives them an extra year until free agency by doing so.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Anytime between now and the AS break.

Tonight's my first time appreciating the Futures Game and Night 1 of the Draft are both Sunday 7/11 - that will be quite a day.   I voted for Now, but suspect the front office is in draft lock mode and probably doesn't want the distraction.

My best case hope is the ensuing 10 days - the last 10 days of July apt to be trade deadline mode.   I suppose one more month a candle perhaps still lit for the Pedro Severino hot streak coinciding with Mitch Garver being the start of a catcher attrition run.

• Upvote 1