Sunday: June 6: Rubber Match vs Indians

SteveA

7 minutes ago, Beysbol said:

I do think the Orioles are playing very good, but just how bad the AL Central is. I would love MLB to take a team or two out of the East and put them into the Central.  

Never has made much sense to put the Indians in the Central and Toronto in the East. 

1 minute ago, LocoChris said:

Oh wait Toronto is east of Cleveland. Nevermind. LOL

I would still like Toronto to be in the Central. I mean, in the NFL, they have the Texans in the South Eastern division. Oh, and a side note, Houston will be the new doormat of the Southern division.

Just now, Philip said:

As long as we’re on the subject, what are you guys choice for a name change for the Indians? I hate the idea of calling them the spiders, but I’ve toyed with the idea of calling them the freighters, boy what a great name the freighters, you’ve got Freighters coming in every day From all over the Great Lakes, plowing through the fetid water and the Smog.

Hey! How about “the Cleveland smog”?

This sort of thing -- team nicknames -- has interested me since I was a kid. I don't know why, maybe because I grew up in Philadelphia and could never grasp (and still can't) what a Phillie or a Phil or an Athletic or an A is. 

A few weeks ago, when I read some of the terrible suggestions for the Washington football team, I came up with some of my own.

The Cleveland situation is a challenging one. The team wants a name that is distinctive and has ties to Cleveland. When I read that a couple of days ago, I tried to think of things -- positive things -- about Cleveland to tie a name to. All I could come up with were Lake Erie and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (well, also the Cleveland Clinic, but that didn't seem to hep). While there have been no public announcements, the leading contenders are said to be Spiders (the name of Cleveland's American Association and National League team in the 1880s and 90s, which had some success, once winning the post-season Temple Cup play-off against the pennant-winning Orioles), Guardians (there apparently are statues called the Guardians of Traffic at the ends of a bridge near the ballpark), and Avengers (because some of the Avengers film was shot in Cleveland.

I think those are all terrible pretty. Just not as bad as another that's been mentioned, the Foresters. Cleveland's earliest professional team was called Forest City (or the Forest Citys), which was a nickname for Cleveland in the nineteenth century. Presumably that's because the city had lots of tress. Isn't Foresters -- the people who cut down trees -- kind of the opposite?

Anyway here are my suggestions for now: 

Rockers -- for the Hall of Fame
Lakers -- for the lake
Great Lakes -- same
Captains -- same
Whitecaps -- same. The team could wear white hats, as they did in the early 20th century. Lots of simple logo possibilities with a wave and a C.
Pioneers -- Ohio was one of the destinations for settlers who departed the Eastern Seaboard 
Freighters -- back to Lake Erie, and independent of Philip
Steamers -- I don't know what kind of vessels have been important to Cleveland shipping along the Great Lakes and east via the Erie Canal, but this appears to be one of them
Blues or Blue Sox -- the name, for short periods, of two early Cleveland teams, vague tie-in to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I think the Indians have always had blue in their uniforms.
Brown Sox -- like the football team

I think I like Cleveland Whitecaps.

• Upvote 1