Kyle Stowers 2021

Frobby

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s just too early to make a pronouncement about something like that right now.   He’s played less than a half season of AAA and of course hasn’t played in the majors at all.   Before this year he really was barely on the radar screen at all, so who are we to predict what he’ll be next year?    I think he has some flaws but he’s improved a ton this year and maybe he’ll just keep on improving.   I could see him being a better version of DJ Stewart.

FWIW, I remember Neustrom hanging around MLB ST a few seasons ago. The org seemed like they liked him more than he was on our radar. Since then, he’s climbed each level, and this season he broke out. 

I see a guy with big time power. Power plays at OPACY. So his power numbers could increase as an MLB’er. Plus he’s been healthy and looks solid as a corner OF. 

I think he and Stowers will be pushing some movement at the MLB level at the deadline next year. Or more likely, Santander and Hays both get hurt. 

13 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

Pete Stanicek had one of the O’s all-time great minor league seasons at Hagerstown in ‘86.  In 127 games he had 115 runs, 77 steals, .317 average, and a .438 OBP.  

He was one of my pet players when he came up to the majors.   Very dynamic.   It’s a shame that injuries prevented him from being the player he could have been.   

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Would you all rather watch Stowers over Santander next year? I would. I've been a Santander guy but tough to know if he's an impact guy at this point. Injuries really slowing him down. 

I'm a big fan of Santander but it's amazing how similar his stats are this year to his 2019 stats.  Perhaps that's what he is and 2020 was just a product of SSS and being hot.  Sign me up for Stowers if he can provide similar defense and a little more power with a higher OBP.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Would you all rather watch Stowers over Santander next year? I would. I've been a Santander guy but tough to know if he's an impact guy at this point. Injuries really slowing him down. 

Depends if Santander shows up healthy and in good shape.   Stowers has 10 games of AAA experience under his belt. I’m fine letting him start next year in AAA and get a shot later when someone is hurt or doesn’t perform.   In the ideal world, Santander is healthy and performs as he did in 2020, and we trade him at the deadline and Stowers comes up.   

3 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I'm a big fan of Santander but it's amazing how similar his stats are this year to his 2019 stats.  Perhaps that's what he is and 2020 was just a product of SSS and being hot.  Sign me up for Stowers if he can provide similar defense and a little more power with a higher OBP.

Similar defense to what?   Santander was very good defensively in 2020, and very bad this year, probably due to injuries slowing him down.   I certainly think Stowers can play better defense than Santander did this year.   I don’t know if he can defend as well as Santander did last year.   I tend to think that’s optimistic.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Similar defense to what?   Santander was very good defensively in 2020, and very bad this year, probably due to injuries slowing him down.   I certainly think Stowers can play better defense than Santander did this year.   I don’t know if he can defend as well as Santander did last year.   I tend to think that’s optimistic.   

Thanks.  Going off of what I remember watching last year.  Admittedly, I have watched very few games this season.  I never thought Santander was great out there, but he's not a butcher either.  Hopefully, Stowers can be better than passable.  Wasn't he a CF at Stanford?

4 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Thanks.  Going off of what I remember watching last year.  Admittedly, I have watched very few games this season.  I never thought Santander was great out there, but he's not a butcher either.  Hopefully, Stowers can be better than passable.  Wasn't he a CF at Stanford?

He can play some CF.  He actually played 5 games out there this year in Aberdeen, and 11 back in 2019 in short season ball. Of course, let’s not forget that Santander started 20 games in CF for the O’s in 2019.   So, just having played some CF doesn’t tell you much.   

2 hours ago, interloper said:

How about Stowers or Mancini?   If you have $10M, is Adley's first team better off with Keuchel and Stowers, or Mancini and Matt Harvey?

Hopefully the sons will give us beer and tacos.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:58 PM, jdwilde1 said:

Pete Stanicek had one of the O’s all-time great minor league seasons at Hagerstown in ‘86.  In 127 games he had 115 runs, 77 steals, .317 average, and a .438 OBP.  

I think I remember @DrungoHazewoodwaxing poetic about Stanicek a few years ago.  That's quite a season.

In regards to Stowers, I'm very intrigued by his OBP skills and raw power.  I wonder if he could put up Nolan Reimold type rookie numbers next year.  

What do you guys know about his speed?  Is he fast at all?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I remember @DrungoHazewoodwaxing poetic about Stanicek a few years ago.  That's quite a season.

In regards to Stowers, I'm very intrigued by his OBP skills and raw power.  I wonder if he could put up Nolan Reimold type rookie numbers next year.  

What do you guys know about his speed?  Is he fast at all?

Yes. He’s athletic. I want to say he’s a 50 runner. Not a burner, but a mover. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Some real good stats but it's a no from me for next year.  There's just too much swing and miss to his game right now.  I hope he proves me wrong.  

Too much swing and miss but he keeps on putting up numbers with the swing and miss.  We assume he'll get exploited in the majors.  Guess we'll see.  He's come a long way in one year.   

• Upvote 1