Flurry of O's moves (Wells/Wade up, Jannis DFA, Kremer optioned, Sisco claimed)

interloper

I see a lot of people on twitter complaining about the Jannis DFA and while I agree he kind of got jobbed in that outing, no other team in baseball would have given him that 1 outing in the big leagues. 

Excited to see Wells. The bar for him to be better than Akin/Kremer/Lowther/Harvey/Lopez is EXTREMELY LOW. Maybe he'll be the one who can be an adequate back-end starter. 

Wade will be an adventure, but I'm here for it and you might as well see what he's got. 

Kremer needed to be optioned and should probably stay at AAA until September.

Sisco I'm kind of surprised he got claimed, but the Mets had an open roster spot from a 60-day IL guy, so whatever. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Good for Sisco.

He's on a playoff contender.

I also suggested earlier that the other night might be a one and done for Jannis so ha! to those that proclaimed he would hang around to eat innings.

Once they threw him out there for his 4th inning, it was pretty clear they mostly wanted to burn up the arm, save the 'pen, and immediately replace him the next day. There's honestly nothing wrong with that, though I'd argue they didn't really NEED to do that. But like I said, who else is even giving him that one opportunity? No one. Good for the O's and Jannis. 

They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with these moves. Wells with a 5.62 ERA in Norfolk but he has pitched better in 3 of his 4 previous starts. Wade is just a bulk guy who can eat innings. Surprised they didnt try and use Jannis again. But not real surprised. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Once they threw him out there for his 4th inning, it was pretty clear they mostly wanted to burn up the arm, save the 'pen, and immediately replace him the next day. There's honestly nothing wrong with that, though I'd argue they didn't really NEED to do that. But like I said, who else is even giving him that one opportunity? No one. Good for the O's and Jannis. 

I don't think he gets claimed so who knows, maybe he'll get to pitch in another blowout down the road.

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with these moves. Wells with a 5.62 ERA in Norfolk but he has pitched better in 3 of his 4 previous starts. Wade is just a bulk guy who can eat innings. Surprised they didnt try and use Jannis again. But not real surprised. 

I didn't realize his ERA was that bad at Norfolk... sheesh. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I see a lot of people on twitter complaining about the Jannis DFA and while I agree he kind of got jobbed in that outing, no other team in baseball would have given him that 1 outing in the big leagues. 

Excited to see Wells. The bar for him to be better than Akin/Kremer/Lowther/Harvey/Lopez is EXTREMELY LOW. Maybe he'll be the one who can be an adequate back-end starter. 

Wade will be an adventure, but I'm here for it and you might as well see what he's got. 

Sisco I'm kind of surprised he got claimed, but the Mets had an open roster spot from a 60-day IL guy, so whatever. 

Wade will be the last guy out of the pen who only comes up in lost cause situations.

That role was filled at various times by Sceroler, Jannis, Tyler Wells, and Lakins.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

4 Walks and 27 K's in 32 innings. Thats something at least. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I also suggested earlier that the other night might be a one and done for Jannis so ha! to those that proclaimed he would hang around to eat innings.

Good call there. It's an insult to all knuckleballers to call whatever Jannis was throwing the other night a "knuckleball." That was rough. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Good for Sisco.

He's on a playoff contender.

I had a chuckle at somebody's observation this week that if a guy got called into the game and was pretty sure he was a 1-day burnout guy, he should carry the SpiderTack jar out there to make sure he got a 10-day suspension, days of MLB pay, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I expect a lot of AAA numbers will be screwy this year. Wells has made 8 starts and they've only been against 3 different teams. All with good/great lineups. His last start was against Durham who he was facing for the 3rd time in 17 days. Not an easy assignment. With all that being said, I still expect nothing out of him at the big league level right now. Especially given that he's a contact pitcher with a bad defense behind him.