Ramon Urias?

wildcard

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

SSS but his numbers with us have been good. 42 GP, 120PA, .852 OPS. 

He’s on a hot streak.   But, his minor league (.775 OPS) and Mexican League (.863) numbers suggest he can hold his own at the plate.   I think he’s a subpar defender based on the little I’ve seen of him.   Twice I saw him take a throw from the OF, whirl and throw home blindly and wildly, both in situations where he had no chance to get the runner even with a good throw.   So I don’t think his instincts are that good.   But let’s give him more chances.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He’s on a hot streak.   But, his minor league (.775 OPS) and Mexican League (.863) numbers suggest he can hold his own at the plate.   I think he’s a subpar defender based on the little I’ve seen of him.   Twice I saw him take a throw from the OF, whirl and throw home blindly and wildly, both in situations where he had no chance to get the runner even with a good throw.   So I don’t think his instincts are that good.   But let’s give him more chances.

He might not be our SS of the future but we do need a 2B as well. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He might not be our SS of the future but we do need a 2B as well. 

This might be the understatement of the year. ?

I know this season isn't about winning, but something has to be done at 2B with the level of play the team is getting from Valaika. Valaika was a nice surprise in a shortened 2020, but it's the clear outlier when you look at his career. 

Urias being optioned in favor of Valaika earlier this year is the only move Elias has made I didn't agree with. Urias not only was the only middle infielder with a positive WAR other than Galvis, but he's a better defense shortstop than Valaika, has better ABs, and was in the midst of proving that over a good amount of ABs for a reserve player. And yet he was optioned in favor of Valaika's negative WAR because - what, Valaika makes more money? He hit a few homers last year in a short sample? 

I'm glad Urias is back, I hope he outlasts the next DFA wave, and it's been a pleasure watching his ABs. Is he a great defender? No. But we're talking about a utility guy on a terrible team. He's younger than Pat and he has more home runs than Pat, which is kind of funny. 

I like Urias. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The guy is 24 and hitting like .260 in his first taste of AA. The .400ish OBP is definitely nice but let's not carried away.

He is a better defensive 2B than Jones and I expect he will be in AA sometime in the 2nd half.  I don't know much about his current injury.  He is not on the IL at Bowie but he is not playing.