Renteria for Garland discussed?

Sports Guy

I like Renteria (Garland, not so much), but what's the point of trading a young starter for a 32 year old SS when you're 15 and a half games out? Renteria isn't THAT old, but this just seems like a win-now type move. Odd for a team 11 games under .500 with 8 teams ahead of them in the Central and Wild Card.

I like Renteria (Garland, not so much), but what's the point of trading a young starter for a 32 year old SS when you're 15 and a half games out? Renteria isn't THAT old, but this just seems like a win-now type move. Odd for a team 11 games under .500 with 8 teams ahead of them in the Central and Wild Card.

Maybe their trying to reload for 2008? Or they think they can flip Renteria for something better? Other than that it doesn't really make sense to me either.

Maybe their trying to reload for 2008? Or they think they can flip Renteria for something better? Other than that it doesn't really make sense to me either.

The WS apparently rejected the deal. My guess is Williams wanted Renteria for 2008 but didn't like the prospect being offered enough. If he loses Dye he will have to replace his offense, and upgrading from Uribe to Renteria is one way to do it.

The WS are falling into that trap of being a decent team in a really good division trying to reload with veterans. They really are the type of team though that could go out and totally rebuild. With the pitching and 2-3 tradable hitting comodities I wonder why Williams has that win now mentality. Maybe its the world series victory - success has been the downfall of many people.

Archived