How do you feel about our SP prospects going forward??

Getz

I never had much faith on DL Hall because he walks batters a lot and he's injury prone and he continued that trend this season.

I tought Wells and Lowter would be better than they've been and I had high hopes for Baumann but he got injured early in the season.

I know that Elias got Bradish, Brnovish and Kevin Smith in trades and they have played well in the minors but so did Wells and Lowter. 

With that said, I feel like the only guy who can be a starter on a contending team is Grayson and Means.

I hope I'm wrong because we need SP badly and I still think one or two of these guys can be impactful pitchers in the majors, but if they don't we don't have any pitching prospects in Aberdeen, Delmarva or lower, except the injured Carter Baumler.

Edited by Getz
  • Upvote 1

• Getz changed the title to How do you feel about our SP prospects going forward??
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Grayson and Hall have a good chance at being solid contributors but I don't see anything of note behind them.

On the surface it's hard to disagree. But then baseball is crazy, and guys like John Means exist. Here's hoping there are some diamonds who reveal themselves. 

• Upvote 3

Baumann shows promise as an almost ready ML starter if healthy.

Beyond that we need some overachievers like Means was but we do have a bunch of hopefuls in that regard. Bradish, Smith, Brnovich, Lowther, Wells, Akin, Kremer, etc..  There is the possibility of trying Tyler Wells as a starter.   I think the depth in the system is decent but Grayson Rodriguez types don't grow on trees.

One thing that concerns me is the lack of pitchers drafted by the Elias regime. I guess he will keep trading for pitchers that have already established themselves in the minors and are promising.

Edited by Getz

The OP basically said it all. DL has always reminded me a bit of Hunter Harvey (throws hard with not much else and a bit injury prone).  He started off the year proving me wrong, and then…… yea. I’ve always had a feeling he would end up closer to Andrew Miller than anything.  Grayson hasn’t showed any reason to not think he will be a TOR guy.  Means will only give you 140 innings and we don’t know what he will look like without spider tack.  Beyond that everyone is a coin flip and I think Elias thought that out of pure quantity 2-3 guys would prove to be reliable starters.  But those guys haven’t emerged yet and I’m not so sure they ever will from this group.

Means, Matt Harvey, Baumann, Lopez, Zimmermann, Tyler Wells with Grayson and DL Hall joining them some time next year.    Yes, Matt Harvey is a FA.   If he pitches well in the 2nd half they can sign him for a year.   Need  as many starters as they can find.   Use the ones that don't make the rotation in the pen.

Grayson is incredibly exciting. Best pitching prospect we have had since pre TJ Bundy. Hall injuries are concerning. I still think some combination of Bauman, Bradish, Zimmerman, Rom, Kremer, Tyler Wells, and Smith could fill out the back end after Means and Grayson. I have given up on Akin but Lowther and Alex Wells still have a chance.