Sometimes the minor trades aren't so minor

RZNJ

Jose Iglesias for Jean Pinto and Garrett Stallings.

Mychal Givens for Vavra, Nevin, and Mishael Deson

Richard Bleier for Isaac De Leon

The three unknowns (Pinto, Deson, De Leon) are beginning to gain notice.     Probably a lot of the credit has to go to Koby Perez who probably helped Elias target these guy in the trades.   Looking like pretty smart throw-ins on the first two trades and De Leon is having a pretty nice season in the FCL.

• Upvote 1

I do believe these guys returned in trades were deemed as "lottery tickets" when these trades went down.  IMO, that's the best way to describe them.  You get a few lottery tickets, hope you win a few bucks...maybe you'll get the jackpot.  

If Elias and Perez prove to be shrewd when it comes to these types of trades that will be huge.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Jose Iglesias for Jean Pinto and Garrett Stallings.

Mychal Givens for Vavra, Nevin, and Mishael Deson

Richard Bleier for Isaac De Leon

The three unknowns (Pinto, Deson, De Leon) are beginning to gain notice.     Probably a lot of the credit has to go to Koby Perez who probably helped Elias target these guy in the trades.   Looking like pretty smart throw-ins on the first two trades and De Leon is having a pretty nice season in the FCL.

I had just looked up how we got Pinto tonight. De Leon for Bleier was another slick move. So was getting Deson as a 3rd piece for Givens. I’d also add in Victor Gonzalez that we got as the 2nd piece for Castro, and the two guys we got for Cashner. 

Elias essentially built a whole J2 signing class as extra pieces in trades. Kudos. 

I was thinking that Elias’ only mistakes were Kjerstad, Pop and passing on Lawler. Well Kjerstad allowed us to get Mayo. I would trade Pop for Tyler Wells. Also, Lawler has a torn labrum, and that’s never good for a SS. Plus, Cowser has a stick and can play CF. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I had just looked up how we got Pinto tonight. De Leon for Bleier was another slick move. So was getting Deson as a 3rd piece for Givens. I’d also add in Victor Gonzalez that we got as the 2nd piece for Castro, and the two guys we got for Cashner. 

Elias essentially built a whole J2 signing class as extra pieces in trades. Kudos. 

I was thinking that Elias’ only mistakes were Kjerstad, Pop and passing on Lawler. Well Kjerstad allowed us to get Mayo. I would trade Pop for Tyler Wells. Also, Lawler has a torn labrum, and that’s never good for a SS. Plus, Cowser has a stick and can play CF. 

Kjerstad still remains to be seen.  He's got his work cut out for him, but he can only be viewed as a mistake if Elias knew about his myocarditis and drafted him anyway which I don't think anyone believes to be the case.  We've debated about whether the Orioles truly valued Kjerstad at that pick or not.  Either way, the draft strategy was a sound one as you're correct, it allowed us to get Mayo.

Also correct about essentially picking up more J2 pieces via trades.  They look like they could be good pieces moving forward.

If Pinto, De Leon, and Deson advance and keep producing next year, our system will remain strong despite graduating AR and G-Rod to Baltimore.  That's been Elias's goal all along, a strong system continually graduating prospects to Baltimore with more talent coming up behind them.  

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I felt the Orioles should have drafted Veen last year.  That's looking accurate as of now.

However, I am glad they took Kjerstad over everyone else.  Hopefully he can get over this myocarditis and get going.  His offensive upside is big imo.

You and me both Re: Veen. 

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kjerstad still remains to be seen.  He's got his work cut out for him, but he can only be viewed as a mistake if Elias knew about his myocarditis and drafted him anyway which I don't think anyone believes to be the case.  We've debated about whether the Orioles truly valued Kjerstad at that pick or not.  Either way, the draft strategy was a sound one as you're correct, it allowed us to get Mayo.

Also correct about essentially picking up more J2 pieces via trades.  They look like they could be good pieces moving forward.

If Pinto, De Leon, and Deson advance and keep producing next year, our system will remain strong despite graduating AR and G-Rod to Baltimore.  That's been Elias's goal all along, a strong system continually graduating prospects to Baltimore with more talent coming up behind them.  

Kjerstad was just unlucky and I feel terribly for him personally. It’s just been bad luck considering Elias is obviously going with the draft the “safe” bats and not the arms that always break. The first guy he essentially does his strategy with has a rare/unforeseen heart condition. 

We will pick 1:1 again and have the top bonus pool. Also, we appear to be bringing in around an average J2 class as well. That’s a big leap. 

It’s hard not to get frustrated with Elias with all the losing, but the guy has had some bad luck and was out in a tough situation. 

Our MLB lineup looks like it will be absolutely loaded with homegrown players for a good 7-10 year stretch. Factoring in 1:1 next year and likely another top 5-10 pick the following season. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kjerstad was just unlucky and I feel terribly for him personally. It’s just been bad luck considering Elias is obviously going with the draft the “safe” bats and not the arms that always break. The first guy he essentially does his strategy with has a rare/unforeseen heart condition. 

We will pick 1:1 again and have the top bonus pool. Also, we appear to be bringing in around an average J2 class as well. That’s a big leap. 

It’s hard not to get frustrated with Elias with all the losing, but the guy has had some bad luck and was out in a tough situation. 

Our MLB lineup looks like it will be absolutely loaded with homegrown players for a good 7-10 year stretch. Factoring in 1:1 next year and likely another top 5-10 pick the following season. 

Its a little optimistic to say the O's will draft 1:1.  The D'Back are only 1 and a half  games behind the O's in the race for the first draft choice.

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This may be the most accurate assessment of what he did with those trades.