Luis Hernandez

Moose Milligan

Actually, I don't think Hernandez's hitting has been all that bad. The problem with some of you is you won't put on your thinking caps and forget that your shortstop doesn't have to be a power hitting, offensive machine like AROD, but the offense can be gotten from other less vital defensive positions in the lineup. I like Tejada's bat but not his glove. I like Hernandez's glove and his bat could be compensated for by a big bat in LF, 1B or even DH. Some of you seriously way undervalue defense versus offense.

A great defensive play by a shortstop (or any position) a lot of times will not only save a run but lower a pitcher's pitch count and demoralize the opposition. The added momentum can also have a positive impact on the offense after a boost in spirits by a great defensive play. There are far more opportunites in general for a shortstop to help his team with the glove than with the bat even if he is batting cleanup or third. If he's batting way down in the lineup like Hernandez his bat isn't that much of an impact as some of you seem to think anyway. I would gladly keep him in the lineup and DH Tejada or see if he (Tejada) can learn to play another position if he's back next season.

The funny thing is if and when Tejada comes back and we start seeing weaker defense and failed turnings of double play balls and the team doesn't improve their W-L record I will be pointing this out again. Not because I like being redundant, but I know what I see on the field and that is Tejada should be improved upon by someone replacing him at short. The proof is in the pudding, that the team just plays defense and pitches better with improved fielding at the most key position in the infield (other than catcher).

The sky is not green.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE=italianstallion;988535]THERE'S A NEW "CUT TO THE QUICK" SHERIFF IN TOWN, BOB.

(and his name is italianstallion)

Drungo may well know everything else there is to know about baseball and the Orioles under the sun in comparison to me. However, on his belief that I am wrong about Tejada's defense being a big liability and the team playing better baseball without him on the field I think he is wrong.

I think it will be shown once Tejada returns and so will follow the sloppy play at short. Again, defense and pitching is vital to winning tight games, as much or moreso than timely hitting. With Tejada in the lineup it helps but his defense is a subtraction and hurts the pitching staff. Trembley has been doing a great job but a big part of the reason the team is playing better is better defense at short.

QUOTE=italianstallion;988535]THERE'S A NEW "CUT TO THE QUICK" SHERIFF IN TOWN, BOB.

(and his name is italianstallion)

Drungo may well know everything else there is to know about baseball and the Orioles under the sun in comparison to me. However, on his belief that I am wrong about Tejada's defense being a big liability and the team playing better baseball without him on the field I think he is wrong.

I think it will be shown once Tejada returns and so will follow the sloppy play at short. Again, defense and pitching is vital to winning tight games, as much or moreso than timely hitting. With Tejada in the lineup it helps but his defense is a subtraction and hurts the pitching staff. Trembley has been doing a great job but a big part of the reason the team is playing better is better defense at short.

Quit before you dig any deeper. While Tejada might not be Kahlil Greene he is not as bad as you portray him defensively. In a series he might miss 1 or 2 balls that others might make, but his bat makes his WAY more valuable than Luis Hernandez. By a long shot.

Tejada gets a bad rap because of his loafing, but I doubt you'll see that with Trembley running the ship and the streak over. Mark my words.

Quit before you dig any deeper. While Tejada might not be Kahlil Greene he is not as bad as you portray him defensively. In a series he might miss 1 or 2 balls that others might make, but his bat makes him WAY more valuable than Luis Hernandez. By a long shot.

Tejada gets a bad rap because of his loafing, but I doubt you'll see that with Trembley running the ship and the streak over. Mark my words.

Quit before you dig any deeper. While Tejada might not be Kahlil Greene he is not as bad as you portray him defensively. In a series he might miss 1 or 2 balls that others might make, but his bat makes him WAY more valuable than Luis Hernandez. By a long shot.

Again, its not about his bat. IMO his bat shouldn't have to make up for anything. If he's not a superb defensive shortstop (and he certainly is not) move him to LF or DH him. I am sick and tired of seeing him bobble double play balls or not get to balls up the middle. I want better defense at short and his bat can still be in the lineup. How come some of you cannot seem to grasp that rather simple concept? I will not quit on this as long as people can't see to understand that Tejada's bat shouldn't have to compensate for defense. Move the guy to where his defense has no need to be compensated. That is all I am saying here, and I am right on this.

Again, its not about his bat. IMO his bat shouldn't have to make up for anything. If he's not a superb defensive shortstop (and he certainly is not) move him to LF or DH him. I am sick and tired of seeing him bobble double play balls or not get to balls up the middle. I want better defense at short and his bat can still be in the lineup. How come some of you cannot seem to grasp that rather simple concept? I will not quit on this as long as people can't see to understand that Tejada's bat shouldn't have to compensate for defense. Move the guy to where his defense has no need to be compensated. That is all I am saying here, and I am right on this.

Alright you've convinced me. Now stop posting. This thread is long enough.

Again, its not about his bat. IMO his bat shouldn't have to make up for anything. If he's not a superb defensive shortstop (and he certainly is not) move him to LF or DH him.

That's an absurd position. A very good hitting shorstop who's only adequate in the field will be many wins better than the same player playing out of position in left field, or contributing nothing on defense as a DH. Tejada as a DH + Hernandez at short would cost the Orioles many wins compared to Tejada as a shorstop and a good hitter at DH. No question.

I am sick and tired of seeing him bobble double play balls or not get to balls up the middle. I want better defense at short and his bat can still be in the lineup. How come some of you cannot seem to grasp that rather simple concept?

Because it's a hyperbolic exaggeration, and moving him to another less-demanding defensive spot takes away from his value to the team. There are only so many players with the ability to play shortstop. Making Tejada play elsewhere is using him at 80% of his full value.

I will not quit on this as long as people can't see to understand that Tejada's bat shouldn't have to compensate for defense. Move the guy to where his defense has no need to be compensated. That is all I am saying here, and I am right on this.

No, you're not right. No matter how many times you type your exaggerations and ranting, you're wrong. Tejada as a DH in 2007 is roughly as good as Kevin Millar. You can find occasionally find Kevin Millars on waivers. You can find Brandon Faheys or Luis Hernandezes on waivers every day. Replacing an above-average shortstop and an average DH with two generic players isn't improvement.

This really isn't hard. Tejada is worth about +40 on offense, about +5 on defense, realtive to replacement-level. Hernandez might be as much as +20 on defense, and surely -20 on offense. 45 ≠ 0.

Thank you. I really shouldn't spend so much time refuting the questionable opinions of people with a fringe agenda.

When did Drungo become god? What EXPERIENCE makes your conclusions so infalible that you can demean someone else? Some of the use of numbers by some of you stat heds gets out of hand. Baseball vets have always said strength up the middle is key to a winning team. I love Tejada, but he was inconsistent with the A's defensively, and he's worse now. If this team can make a trade that makes sense re: its needs, it should do it. A play missed here or there can make a BIG difference to a pitcher and a team---sometimes multiple runs and sometimes the ONE run that makes you lose----note all the one-run losses. Dumb plays or bad range have accounted for a number of them.

If this team can make a trade that makes sense re: its needs, it should do it.

The Orioles' current needs are not a shortstop.

It's really very simple. Tejada>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Luis Hernandez.

When did Drungo become god? What EXPERIENCE makes your conclusions so infalible that you can demean someone else? Some of the use of numbers by some of you stat heds gets out of hand. Baseball vets have always said strength up the middle is key to a winning team. I love Tejada, but he was inconsistent with the A's defensively, and he's worse now. If this team can make a trade that makes sense re: its needs, it should do it. A play missed here or there can make a BIG difference to a pitcher and a team---sometimes multiple runs and sometimes the ONE run that makes you lose----note all the one-run losses. Dumb plays or bad range have accounted for a number of them.

Not that Drungo needs defenders, but he's got a pretty good track record of coherent numerology trumping perceived advantages. As with most of these debates....time will tell. He's not right all the time. I am.;)

Archived