MLB CBA/Labor Dispute Thread

SteveA

3 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Well, there is no way to prove it, but I think the cumulative affect of playing big payroll teams may wear down the O's over 162, so they perform worse against teams outside of the division.

And as stated here before, FA pitchers really don't want to play in Baltimore and face those line ups all the time.

And third, it just doesn't make sense for teams to compete for the same playoff slot, but play vastly different levels of competition. 

Playing big payroll teams?  What about playing small payroll teams like Tampa who also beat our brains in?

I don't know if FA pitchers really don't want to play in Baltimore because it's my personal belief that the Orioles haven't tried.  I don't think the Orioles have made giant efforts to sign any quality free agents in the past few years.  Now if there were constant reports out there saying that the Orioles had equal offers on the table to other clubs and the player decided to go elsewhere, fine. 

It is easy to say that FA pitchers don't want to come play here because we haven't signed any.  But I don't think that statement can be true unless we know for a fact that quality free agents have turned the Orioles down time and time again.  

In regards to vastly different levels of competition, I'm not sure what the fix is there.  For argument sake, say there were no divisions, just the two separate leagues.  Each team played each other an equal amount of times throughout the season.  In that case, would we think the Yankees, Sox and Rays would somehow be mitigated due to a balanced, equal schedule?  Instead of beating up on us, they'd get to beat up on us, the Rangers and the Tigers and equal amount.  The Yankees, Sox and Rays are always going to be there in the end, no matter how you cut it.

If the desire to change up division alignment in order to avoid the Yankees, Sox and Rays as much as possible is what we're after here, then I guess we should be satisfied with playing weaker competition throughout the season, hoping to make the playoffs and hoping for "anything to happen" in a series with one of those teams.  

For me, that's not really ideal.  I'd like for Elias to build this organization in order to compete with the Yankees and Sox and Rays.  We can whine about payroll but we all know that payroll doesn't automatically create a great team.  I'd rather stick it out in this division against these teams so we know we can hang with them rather than be the best of an average group and lying to ourselves into thinking we're good.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well this is off the subject of this thread anyways.

On the subject, I think unbalanced schedules are distinct disadvantage and I don't know of too many fans that enjoy it. However, I think teams enjoy price gouging fans for games against big market teams with fans not too far to travel so in this case, I don't see the owners giving this up and I don't see the players caring one way o the other.

It's the fans that get left out in the cold.

The sad thing is, you could post this for SOO many varied subjects. Same meaning.

[Paragraph of words...]

It's the fans that get left out in the cold.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Playing big payroll teams?  What about playing small payroll teams like Tampa who also beat our brains in?

I don't know if FA pitchers really don't want to play in Baltimore because it's my personal belief that the Orioles haven't tried.  I don't think the Orioles have made giant efforts to sign any quality free agents in the past few years.  Now if there were constant reports out there saying that the Orioles had equal offers on the table to other clubs and the player decided to go elsewhere, fine. 

It is easy to say that FA pitchers don't want to come play here because we haven't signed any.  But I don't think that statement can be true unless we know for a fact that quality free agents have turned the Orioles down time and time again.  

Well said.  The last time I remember the O’s chasing a top end free agent pitcher (if you even want to call him that) was Carl Pavano in the 2004-05 offseason.   He was the top FA pitcher that year (or close), but not someone who would have been top of the market in any other year.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well said.  The last time I remember the O’s chasing a top end free agent pitcher (if you even want to call him that) was Carl Pavano in the 2004-05 offseason.   He was the top FA pitcher that year (or close), but not someone who would have been top of the market in any other year.  

Carl Pavano, top end pitcher?  Sheesh, that must have been a rough offseason.  

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

He was considered the no. 2 guy on the market, behind Pedro Marinez and ahead of Kevin Millwood and Jaret Wright.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vault.si.com/.amp/vault/2004/11/22/baseball-freeagent-watch

Pedro is fun to think about, always.  Could go without hearing the other names again for the rest of my life and would be perfectly happy to do so.  

On 10/27/2021 at 9:12 PM, owknows said:

MLB Locks out players.

Owners field teams of replacement players one month in, reaching into AA and AAA.

O's win the World Series.

All the minor league players are soon-to-be union members, almost all believing that they will shortly be benefiting from the MLBPA.  The experience of 1994-95 was that very, very few of them would cross the picket lines.  The strikebreakers from that era were indy leaguers and nondrafted players.  Way, way, way down in the player pool.  That's the main reason they never went ahead with regular season replacement player games, it was basically rookie league ball masquerading as the Majors.  This isn't the NFL, where players 90% as good as the regulars get released at the end of training camp and are free to be strike breakers.

I guess it would be cool if the "Orioles" won the World Series with a team 75% as good as the York Revolution.