Roch: Rumor that Holmes moves to the bench and Cossins to the pen

wildcard

If this rumor is true it means to me that whatever reason caused Holt to leave the club last year is not resolved.   I never heard a reason for his absence.   The pitching staff basically fell apart when he left.   Placing Holmes on the bench appears be an attempt to fix this problem but it did not work last season when Holmes needed to fill in for Holt.  It makes me skeptical the problem will  be fix.

Moving Cossins to the pen seems odd.  With Freddy Gonzalez as bench coach I understand Cossins is not needed for that role. However he is the catching coach.  This will be Adley's first year in the majors and there will probably be a new back up catcher.  Seems like a catching coach would be needed on the bench.  It makes me think the backup catcher may also be someone the O's see as a catching coach.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/11/latest-on-orioles-coaching-searches.html

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

If this rumor is true it means to me that whatever reason caused Holt to leave the club last year is not resolved.   I never heard a reason for his absence.   The pitching staff basically fell apart when he left.   Placing Holmes on the bench appears be an attempt to fix this problem but it did not work last season when Holmes needed to fill in for Holt.  It makes me skeptical the problem will  be fix.

Moving Cossins to the pen seems odd.  With Freddy Gonzalez as bench coach I understand Cossins is not needed for that role. However he is the catching coach.  This will be Adley's first year in the majors and there will probably be a new back up catcher.  Seems like a catching coach would be needed on the bench.  It makes me think the backup catcher may also be someone the O's see as a catching coach.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/11/latest-on-orioles-coaching-searches.html

Interesting take/reasoning on Holt, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it's a matter of providing more pitching input in the dugout. 

Yes, a very odd situation. I actually noticed Cossins in the bullpen late in the season for a few games. Maybe Chris Holt is not a good communicator, at least that is what I got from the article. Why else would they need to bring Holmes back to the dugout for his ability to counsel?

I have wondered what the impetus was to make Chris Holt the pitching coach to start with. He was very good in his pitching coordinator role, and then quickly promoted. The only thing I can think of was another organization was going to offer him the pitching coach job to snatch him away and it forced the Orioles hand. 

I’d consider this more than a rumor, since Roch is reporting it as “likely” from “multiple sources.”   It’s an interesting approach, and the inference from the article is that Holt is more of a data guy while Holmes is more of a “game counselor” guy.   Makes you wonder whether Holt was better off staying in his old “director of pitching” role without taking the major league pitching coach role on.   

I don’t see any connection between this and Holt’s absence last year.   I guess it could be contingency planning in case Holt has to be absent again for an extended period, but I’m inclined to take the explanation Roch is reporting at face value.   

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bordick should come out of the booth and be our IF coach. We keep passing on bringing Bobby Dickerson back when he’s available. It’s hard to lure top coaches when you don’t have the MLB talent. Remember we did kill Rick Peterson’s career years ago when he was thought to be a guru. 

Peterson was our pitching coordinator exactly while the team was good (2012-16).   So, that shouldn’t have killed his career.   

Bordick is out of the booth already, thank goodness.   

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bordick should come out of the booth and be our IF coach. We keep passing on bringing Bobby Dickerson back when he’s available. It’s hard to lure top coaches when you don’t have the MLB talent. Remember we did kill Rick Peterson’s career years ago when he was thought to be a guru. 

Would be in favor of bringing Bobby Dickerson back, but he’s currently the Phillies infield coach. Dickerson would be a good guy to have around when the younger prospects start coming up or better quality veteran infield talent is acquired.