Giants claim Hunter Harvey off waivers

SilverRocket

On the surface, I think it's easy to question this move.  It gives the Orioles space.  It saved no money.  Harvey has flashed brilliance and yet has been almost worthless because of his injuries.  He is exactly they type of talent the Orioles have hoped to have for years.  

On the other hand, results matter and if 2022 is about getting the ML team in a position to compete, then  any real evaluation of the 2021 roster would find very few guys worth keeping.  Harvey has simply not been worthy of a spot in spite of the potential.

If the Orioles do not replace Harvey with someone who performs much more reliably, then any gain on SF part will weave itself into our self loathing lore.  But, if this team signs pitchers or develops pitching in 2022 and begins climbing out of the abyss, then I think any real complaining here will be just normal handwringing. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think the order of operations between now and Nov. 20 when 40-man rosters get set matters a ton.

There is the dance of holding your bluffs longer hoping to exchange them for other stuff you want, whether a MLB fill-in or a lower minor leaguer, but activating minor pieces and moving some pawns to the center has some six of one/half a dozen of the other to it in opening sequences.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wonder if Tate stays. That first-round luster sure has worn off. He hasn’t really put together anything.

And he wears his hat funny…

He will definitely stay.  He’s about a league average reliever and he’s cheap.  

• Like 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Sure, but that seems unlikely to me.  

In a one for one, it’s unlikely.  But in a larger deal where he is the second or third piece, I think it’s possible.

Of course, that would mean Elias is trying to do “a larger deal” and that is unlikely.  That means he is actually trying to improve the team.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In a one for one, it’s unlikely.  But in a larger deal where he is the second or third piece, I think it’s possible.

Of course, that would mean Elias is trying to do “a larger deal” and that is unlikely.  That means he is actually trying to improve the team.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during the discussions with the bosses, but at some point he’s got to put up or shut up, and for his own career it doesn’t make sense to a remain in a place where he’s not allowed to go all the way towards creating a winning team. I may be a hopeful pipe dreamer, but I think this could be a winning team this season.

If Means continues strong, AR And Rodriguez come up quickly, and we get One above average middle infielder and one above average starting pitcher, I think we can do well. I’m already calling us as finishing ahead of New York.

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey is the exact type of player that we should be claiming instead of DFA’ing. Just like when we claimed Mateo. He was a former top prospect that just never put it together. 

I don't disagree, but the guy spent 9 years in our system and tallied 23 innings in the big leagues. The Orioles should and will claim guys like Harvey but it was time to move on to people who can stay on the field. His last injury was triceps related and that's not a great sign.

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey is the exact type of player that we should be claiming instead of DFA’ing. Just like when we claimed Mateo. He was a former top prospect that just never put it together. 

Mateo was not injured for most of his career. Harvey was talented, but look back on his career stats. He was not really very good the past two years when he was healthy. Reliability is a big factor for relief pitchers. He could not go on back to back days. It was time to cut bait after nine years of waiting for him to come around. Besides, when SF DFA's him to stash him into the minors and no one claims him, he will have officially fallen off the map. You think we will win with guys that no one else wants? I don't. It's time to get serious about the major league team. 

• Upvote 2