Giants claim Hunter Harvey off waivers

SilverRocket

44 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I personally have a very hard time believing that they would purposely acquire players that they thought were worse if the money was the same.  "Tanking" or operating under a minimal budget is one thing; actively seeking to sabotage your roster is another.  

Which is to say that so far, I don't believe this current administration has shown that they can effectively evaluate pitchers with the limited info we have.  Pretty much every scrap heap guy that they've brought in has been awful.  

I tend to agree with this though I'm willing to see who they start picking up when they are ready to try and win. That will really tell us whether their system works to identify winning talent or not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

But Hays hasn't missed nearly the time as Harvey has over his career. Hays actually showed he could stay healthy for most of the season after his early injury this year.

Saying that, he's gotta stay healthy for a couple of seasons before I'd feel confident about him. Hays reminds me of Jeffrey Hammonds. Lots of talent but has to prove he can stay on the field. 

Hammonds appears to be a great comp to Hays.  He could have been an outstanding player.  

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

There's really no comparison between Hays and Harvey.  Hays topped 500 plate appearances in the majors in his age 25 season.  Harvey's approaching his age 27 season and has never had more than 8.2 innings in a season in the majors.    

The comp is you saying that they could have Harvey injury fatigue.  Coming into this season, you could easily say the same thing about Hays.

Im just saying if that’s their issue and why they cut him, that’s dumb…but I do agree with you that it could have factored in. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The comp is you saying that they could have Harvey injury fatigue.  Coming into this season, you could easily say the same thing about Hays.

Im just saying if that’s their issue and why they cut him, that’s dumb…but I do agree with you that it could have factored in. 

There is no comp - period.    

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

There is no comp - period.    

Prior to 2021, Hays appeared in 74 games from his debut in 2017.  He was on the DL several times (minor and ML DL/IL) and was also hurt quite often 

You are the one who brought “injury fatigue” into the conversation.  To say injury fatigue wasn’t there for Hays prior to this year (and he was hurt this year too) is laughable.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Prior to 2021, Hays appeared in 74 games from his debut in 2017.  He was on the DL several times (minor and ML DL/IL) and was also hurt quite often 

You are the one who brought “injury fatigue” into the conversation.  To say injury fatigue wasn’t there for Hays prior to this year (and he was hurt this year too) is laughable.

There's a 3 year age difference.  Yes, there's obviously an injury issue with Hays, but it's never been anywhere near what it is with Harvey.     

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

There's a 3 year age difference.  Yes, there's obviously an injury issue with Hays, but it's never been anywhere near what it is with Harvey.     

But injury fatigue still existed.  Is there a certain amount of time that needs to occur for this to set in or something?  

Not sure why you are getting so pissy about this.  You introduced the topic.  I’m just saying I’m glad they didn’t feel the same way about Hays because they certainly could have.  

If they were dumb enough to use this as a reason for Harvey, I’m glad they were dumb enough to use it for Hays.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but up until this year, you could have said that and if they did have Hays injury fatigue and let him go foe next to nothing, it would have been a regrettable decision.

I guess my point is that I dont think this is a good reason to do it although I do agree it could have factored in.

There really isn’t a comparison between pre-2021 Hays and Harvey.   Hays missed more time than most players, but still managed to play in more than half his teams’ games every single season.   Harvey has been off the field way more than he’s been on it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There really isn’t a comparison between pre-2021 Hays and Harvey.   Hays missed more time than most players, but still managed to play in more than half his teams’ games every single season.   Harvey has been off the field way more than he’s been on it.

Playing 50-65% of your games while never being able to get into any kind of a rhythm and never being able to stay at the ML level isn’t a feather in his cap.  

Harvey may have been more injured but you were no less frustrated with Hays’ inability to be on the field vs Harvey.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Playing 50-65% of your games while never being able to get into any kind of a rhythm and never being able to stay at the ML level isn’t a feather in his cap.  

Harvey may have been more injured but you were no less frustrated with Hays’ inability to be on the field vs Harvey.

I have always felt like Hays’ injuries were mostly bad luck, whereas Harvey’s were more due to structural reasons and his pitching motion.   That’s a generalization, but I’ve always been optimistic that Hays would eventually get healthy and stay relatively healthy, whereas I’ve been worried about Harvey’s health for several years now.    Also, I wasn’t as impressed with Harvey in 2019 as some people were, whereas I’ve always been bullish on Hays compared to most.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 11:42 AM, Ruzious said:

There's really no comparison between Hays and Harvey.  Hays topped 500 plate appearances in the majors in his age 25 season.  Harvey's approaching his age 27 season and has never had more than 8.2 innings in a season in the majors.    

Harvey has pitched 286 innings as a professional in nine years.  32 innings a season.  The simplest explanation for why he was let go is that the Orioles don't believe he'll ever stay healthy long enough to be counted on to have an impact.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1