I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They have the flexibility to do any number of things.  My guess is unless the team really struggles they keep him until just before he hits 10 years of service time (or whatever the new version of that is).

Inclined to agree with this.  Or maybe they're making this deal with the idea that they're going to relocate to a better market where they can drive more revenue.  

But yes, flexibility.  The only way it hamstrings flexibility is if Franco ****s the bed in a Chris Davis manner.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Inclined to agree with this.  Or maybe they're making this deal with the idea that they're going to relocate to a better market where they can drive more revenue.  

But yes, flexibility.  The only way it hamstrings flexibility is if Franco ****s the bed in a Chris Davis manner.  

Even in their current situation 25M in 2028 won't cripple them and that's a worse case scenario.  My guess is he's young enough that they managed to get some sort of insurance in case of catastrophic injury.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yardball85 said:

But but but... Elias is doing this the RiGhT WaY!

As I and many others have said on here before. You can rebuild, form a strong core of young talent, have an elite talent pipeline, AND try to not have the MLB team suck.  It really is a novel concept. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

As I and many others have said on here before. You can rebuild, form a strong core of young talent, have an elite talent pipeline, AND try to not have the MLB team suck.  It really is a novel concept. 

Especially when you've picked really high over the past few years and have the #1 pick coming up.  Enough is enough, try to make this team better now.  I'm not saying they've gotta spend Semien money (that's a bad contract) but I think they could have spend some decent money this offseason and possibly get to 68-72 wins next year.

But the guys that I wanted us to target are gone, IIRC.  I don't think there's anyone else left out there that I felt made sense.  I just wanted us to really target 2-3 starting pitchers.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey @wildcard the Rangers suck ass and only had 8 more wins than us but they just dished out 7/175 to Marcus Semien.  Don't tell me we couldn't have signed Ed-Rod or Matz, bro.

You keep advocating for things without actually evaluating whether they're good or not.

Of course the O's could have signed anyone.  If they offered them enough money.  That doesn't even begin to evaluate whether they should or not.

You want to go on the record now and say that is a good signing by Texas?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Especially when you've picked really high over the past few years and have the #1 pick coming up.  Enough is enough, try to make this team better now.  I'm not saying they've gotta spend Semien money (that's a bad contract) but I think they could spend some decent money this offseason and possibly get to 68-72 wins next year.

Exactly.  We have the #1 pick this year, so more young talent is on the way.  If the team sees a player out there that can help them now and during their upcoming winning years (hopefully), they should be aggressive and sign him.  I am not saying Semien was that, and I am not saying I go to 7 years with him.  But, it would be nice to fill a middle infield spot for the next 5-7 years and worry about other spots in the lineup.