I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Anytime you can sign a player going into his age 34 season that's put up a 97 OPS+ the last five seasons, you have to do it. 

For Rangers fans sakes, I hope it's not for much more than the veteran minimum. 

Oh I agree.  Not a very inspiring move.  Just noting the flurry of moves. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I want to know what people are afraid of.  What do you think is going to happen if they try to win?

Give out a bunch of stupid contracts so in three years when they actually might be competitive they're saddled with people like Sieman at 35 years old making 25 million dollars to be terrible.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

At least the Rangers are doing something even if it's misguided. The collective bargaining agreement is going to expire on 12/01 with no moves of note by the O's. 

Right.  I would like to hear that the Orioles are at least trying to add someone like Stroman (or any other FA that might make sense, E-Rod, etc.), instead of deciding, before the offseason even starts, that they are going to sit out free agency.  If the price is too high or he doesnt want to come here, then fine.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pickles said:

Give out a bunch of stupid contracts so in three years when they actually might be competitive they're saddled with people like Sieman at 35 years old making 25 million dollars to be terrible.

Three years! Hooray for seven year rebuilds!  I love when it takes as long as possible, and the team is absolutely god awful during those seven years.  Fun being a baseball fan. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

At least the Rangers are doing something even if it's misguided. The collective bargaining agreement is going to expire on 12/01 with no moves of note by the O's. 

Doing stupid things is stupid.

Are you under the impression MLB issues participation trophies?

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Doing stupid things is stupid.

Are you under the impression MLB issues participation trophies?

We're baseball fans.  This is a hobby.  People want to enjoy their hobby.  I get the frustration of sitting out the offseason and knowing we will again absolutely suck. 

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well since this isn’t realistic at all (ie giving up several contracts that will be crippling), what is your realistic fear(s)?

I mean, the payroll is nothing for years to come.

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Right.  I would like to hear that the Orioles are at least trying to add someone like Stroman (or any other FA that might make sense, E-Rod, etc.), instead of deciding, before the offseason even starts, that they are going to sit out free agency.  If the price is too high or he doesnt want to come here, then fine.

If the Orioles were missing out on sensible free agent signings that would at least be something. If the goal is to be competitive in 2023, then you would think the process starts now by adding some veteran talent. 

Leaving all of the work for next offseason isn't a very reasonable expectation. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If the Orioles were missing out on sensible free agent signings that would at least be something. If the goal is to be competitive in 2023, then you would think you start the process now by adding some veteran talent. 

And next offseason, they'll say the same thing.  They aren't ready yet, be patient, and pass on available good players. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If the Orioles were missing out on sensible free agent signings that would at least be something. If the goal is to be competitive in 2023, then you would think the process starts now by adding some veteran talent. 

You are 100% right.  Sadly, I don't think the goal is to be competitive in 2023. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm not saying this is fun.

It sucks.  And for me personally, sure, signing Semien would have been stupid.  But it would have likely made the summer more fun, and at the end of the day, this is a summer hobby.  

That's why I have trouble getting on board with rooting for losses over the summer, even though objectively, I know it is "best" for the team so they get a high pick. 

Maybe we just send Mullins and Means for Leiter and Jung and let those frisky Rangers take care of all our stuff to back up their Semien push.

Semien at 175 actual beat ESPN Kiley McDaniel's 110 guess by 60% - if his Correa forecast of 297 similarly eclipsed, that'd carry it to ~475, and Boras can edit his Soto ask into the 600's.

Lockout will stink, but at least we're having a few days of fun.   Let's see what Scherzer can do for AAV.

• Upvote 1