MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Is everything just being pushed back?  March 31 is now April 7 or is it where you were playing on April 7th is where your opening day will be?

They probably can't just push everything back a week.    You might wind up with a game and a Paul McCartney concert on the same day at a stadium.   

My guess is they add one series at the end of the year to take care of one of the two March 31-April 6 series that each team had, extending the season to that Wednesday instead of ending on Sunday.   Then they make up the other series by doubleheaders, etc.  

I would guess that for each team, at least one of their first two series is not the ONLY time that team visits them.   Maybe that's not the case.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Glad baseball is back.

How about someone start a Spring Training thread and we can let this one die out?

Not to mention a thread for the Super TurboCharged Hot Stove Period that will result in dozens of major free agent signings and probably some trades, in a very brief few days.

Wouldn't surprise me if there are teams that have agreed on trades that can't be announced until after ratification, so there could be a bunch of announcemments tonight/tomorrow too.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Terpdawg32 said:

MLBN seems to think this is good for getting someone like Adley in Baltimore more quickly.  Anyone understand exactly why that would be the case?  I don't understand the deal closely enough.

There was one proposal mentioned a couple days ago that teams would be rewarded for promoting prospects.   If a rookie made the Opening Day roster and then did well "in voting" (ie rookie of the year, etc), that team would get extra draft picks.

I **DO NOT KNOW** if that proposal wound up as part of the CBA that got agreed upon today, or not.   But if it did, it would now be in the Orioles' interest to have Adley on the ML roster on Opening Day.

Also, if 172 days is still what counts as a full season of service time... the season was originally going to run March 31 to Oct 2 which is 186 days.   Looks like they are lopping 7 off the beginning and adding 3 at the end, so now it will be 182 days.   So even **IF** the 172 day figure still matters, Adley would only have to stay down 10 days instead of 14 at the start of the year.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wow.

The players appoint an Executive Council and tell them their job is to go get us the best deal you can.

And they pretty much do that, except they get so caught up in the adversarial negotiation process that they feel the need to beat the owners into submission or at least come out with a "win".   And they can't do that.   So they vote against the deal unanimously and want to keep fighting, even if it costs games.

And the vast body of players had enough sense to say, good job guys, you got us as much as you could, let's sign this thing and get playing.

A refreshing common sense take by the majority of the MLB players.

• Upvote 4