MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

23 minutes ago, Hallas said:

The Os would get a draft pick if they break ST with Adley on the roster so there's that...

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Have they said how high the pick is?

Ruiz in the sun had a good breakdown on it this morning, but essentially the value of Adley’s age 30 season under club control might be higher then the value of and end of 1st round draft pick…and no guarantee the orioles get the draft pick (although that would be disappointing) 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

2 different things.  Top 2 get an extra year.  Top 5 you get a draft pick.

Right but it’s Top 5 for CY/MVP, Top 3 for ROY. I wonder if that’s Top 5 only for that year or the entirety of their time with the team before FA. Lots of details to digest  

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Ruiz in the sun had a good breakdown on it this morning, but essentially the value of Adley’s age 30 season under club control might be higher then the value of and end of 1st round draft pick…and no guarantee the orioles get the draft pick (although that would be disappointing) 

It might be.

Might not be.

Wieters had a bounce back year at 30 and was worth 1.9 rWAR.

I'd think Adley would have to put up around three wins to provide much excess value on what his salary is likely to be.

I don't understand this.

Say AR wins Rookie of the Year. Does this rule mean the O's get one less year of control? One more year of control?

What if he comes up a month in, doesn't get the service time but still gets ROY?

I don't see how this part gets teams to promote players sooner. Seems the opposite, so I'm just not understanding.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't understand this.

Say AR wins Rookie of the Year. Does this rule mean the O's get one less year of control? One more year of control?

What if he comes up a month in, doesn't get the service time but still gets ROY?

I don't see how this part gets teams to promote players sooner. Seems the opposite, so I'm just not understanding.

I read it that if they try and game his service time and he wins RoY anyway the attempt will be for nought. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I don't understand this.

If Adley comes up in June and finished top 2 in Roy voting, he’s credited with a full year of service (as if he started the year with the team). 

Fundamentally, I think the new rules make it unlikely we’d see Adley in may/June. The orioles will likely decide between having him on the opening day roster, hoping to get the draft pick. Or keep him down until July/august making it exceedingly unlikely he finishes top 2 in Roy voting. 

Just now, seak05 said:

If Adley comes up in June and finished top 2 in Roy voting, he’s credited with a full year of service (as if he started the year with the team). 

Fundamentally, I think the new rules make it unlikely we’d see Adley in may/June. The orioles will likely decide between having him on the opening day roster, hoping to get the draft pick. Or keep him down until July/august making it exceedingly unlikely he finishes top 2 in Roy voting. 

Which will possibly set them up for a grievance hearing.

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Adley will either be with the on opening day or by the 1st of May.   He will not be held down until June, July or August IMO.

Playoff info:

Top 2 division winners in each league get byes.

#3 division winner and #3 wild card play a best of 3 series -- winner plays #2 division winner in best of 5 series (even if the #3 wild card wins, so it is a set bracket, no "re-seeding" where the worst remaining team faces the best remaining team)

#1 wild card and #2 wild card play a best of 3 series -- winner plays #1 division winner in best of 5 series

There will no longer be "game 163" tiebreaks.   There will be tiebreaking procedures (TBD) similar to NFL and other leagues (which use things like head to head record, division record, record vs common opponents, etc)

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Glad to see the players stuck it to the executive board for the union. Great job by the players to realize this was BS and time to get back to the game. Unions bosses always suck and are more worried about their paydays and power then the rank and file they supposedly are looking out for.

Let's get back to baseball!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

I was actually in favor of these rules because they speed up the game. I wonder why they were removed.

I liked starting a man on second on extra innings. I thought I would hate it but honestly, I ended up liking it and it stopped those tediously long games that destroy bullpens.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I liked starting a man on second on extra innings. I thought I would hate it but honestly, I ended up liking it and it stopped those tediously long games that destroy bullpens.

Same with me and the 7 inning double headers.  14 innings in a day is enough.  I never got upset about either rule during the season.