MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

Jared Diamond of the Wall Street Journal reports (on Twitter) that beginning in 2023, the schedule will be adjusted such that every team plays all 29 opponents in each season. The exact format is to be determined, but those games will come attached to a decrease in the number of intra-divisional games teams will play. Previously, teams played 19 games per season against all four of their divisional opponents.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'd hate to lose games 15-17 against the Jays.

I can go either way...I don't really need 19 games against the Jays, but at a certain point why have divisions if that's not who you're primarily competing against 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes. And I’m not being sarcastic. I hate it. I think the nba jerseys with the company logos are terrible. 

The swoosh is bad enough. The new era logo on the side of the hats is bad enough. 

Did not see this, but I agree that will be awful.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I can go either way...I don't really need 19 games against the Jays, but at a certain point why have divisions if that's not who you're primarily competing against 

I'd rather do without divisions if we are being honest. 

I'd just do an eastern and western for travel and be done with it.

Top 6 teams in each make the playoffs.

My guess is all the National League teams wanted yearly games against the Yankees and Red Sox.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, oriole said:

I agree, that is obnoxious. I’m guessing I’ll get used to it though 

For many years there was no advertising on outfield walls.  (There was back in the 30s but at some point it disappeared and I'm pretty sure was nonexistent in the 70s & 80s).  It came back in the 90s including at Camden Yards and now we are used to it and don't even notice.

Overall, I think the final deal is in the “fair zone,” though I think the owners did better than the players.   Ask me again in two years when we see what’s happened with team payrolls.    

I’ll be interested to see if Tony Clark is still head of the union next time.  I don’t think he’s done a good job, either in terms of getting the best deal or maintaining a constructive dialogue in the couple of years leading up to the expiration of the CBA.   Of course, his dance partner is no picnic either.   

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather they didn't but I imagine by June my eye will just wash right over them and they won't register.

I enjoy the nostalgia of MLB, so I'm not sure I will.  We'll see.  Guess I'm a crusty old guy.

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I know its minor in the grand scheme of things, but is anyone else bothered by the fact that player uniforms will feature advertising for the first time, with patches on jerseys and decals on batting helmets?   Is nothing sacrosanct?   

It's cheesy, but if it gives us $$$ to compete with the big boys, I can live with it.  

Edited by Big Al
Remove redundancy

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Overall, I think the final deal is in the “fair zone,” though I think the owners did better than the players.   Ask me again in two years when we see what’s happened with team payrolls.    

I’ll be interested to see if Tony Clark is still head of the union next time.  I don’t think he’s done a good job, either in terms of getting the best deal or maintaining a constructive dialogue in the couple of years leading up to the expiration of the CBA.   Of course, his dance partner is no picnic either.   

I think the higher CBT is bad for the O's and other mid to small market teams.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the higher CBT is bad for the O's and other mid to small market teams.

I would have favored a minimum. With revenue sharing, advertising dollars, playoff tv revenue etc all the teams are making some money. We don't have a lot of specifics because only two teams are required to publicly disclose, but the O's could certainly afford to spend more then the current payroll. 

• Upvote 1