Rosenthal: Boras Seeking Teixeira-Varitek Package Deal?

ChaosLex

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would Varitek be able to teach Wieters how to call a game at a skill level that the O's reap benefits from for years to come?

Hahaha, I just had a weird image in my head, and than I thought...Nah

I was thinking

Burnett

Sheets

Varitek

Teixeria

Furcal

Pie

ACab

All In one offseason.

Nah...

Every report I've seen says this is the one part of his game that needs work. Where did you hear this?

There have been a lot of reports, from coaches, pitchers and scouts, that he calls a good game as well.

I am sure he could improve on it but I think it is just nitpicking. I think people are crazy if they think a coach is going to say, he is perfect in every way and doesn't need to work on anything.

So, they pick the thing he has the least experience with...calling a game.

I have very little doubt that he could come up and call a better game than Ramon normally does.

I am sure he could improve on it but I think it is just nitpicking. I think people are crazy if they think a coach is going to say, he is perfect in every way and doesn't need to work on anything.

There's probably alot of truth in that.

If in fact this rumor is true and I were Teixeira I would fire Boras yesterday. Boras should be trying to get Tex the best deal for Tex. Varitek is toast and isn't worth more than a one year deal.

I suggested that Boras would try to do the same thing with another declining client of his in Andruw Jones.

There have been a lot of reports, from coaches, pitchers and scouts, that he calls a good game as well.

I have very little doubt that he could come up and call a better game than Ramon normally does.

It's nitpicking for sure, but it IS the one thing that Varitek could really help him out with. Wieters will call a better game than Ramon because, I assume, he'll give two poops about the game he's participating in. Ramon clearly does not.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Ramon has a good year with the bat. He'll be playing for a contract or option pickup.

Is Rosenthal's assertion true that Tek "would receive an increase from his $9 million salary through the arbitration process"?

If that is correct, the arb process is a sham.

But if it is true, why would Tek not take that deal considering it's unlikely anyone else would pay him that much for his declining skills? And why then would Boras advise his client to go FA with that knowledge? Are they both shrewd in a way that I don't understand, or just plain nuts?

If Varitek gets you Tex, I'd sign him. Think of it as a posting fee...

Japanese players you have to spend 50-70 million just to get the rights to and then sign them to a contract. So this isn't out of the ordinary really.

Give Tex an 8/184 contract and Varitek a 2/16

And Varitek would be a solid backup and mentor to Wieters. It may be considered pissing away money, but Varitek as a backup is not a horrible thing.

Go ahead and flame away...

If Varitek gets you Tex, I'd sign him. Think of it as a posting fee...

Japanese players you have to spend 50-70 million just to get the rights to and then sign them to a contract. So this isn't out of the ordinary really.

Give Tex an 8/184 contract and Varitek a 2/16

And Varitek would be a solid backup and mentor to Wieters. It may be considered pissing away money, but Varitek as a backup is not a horrible thing.

Go ahead and flame away...

I'm not going to flame, but there is no way I'd sign Varitek to 8M a year, ever. IMO the order of what your catcher should be able to do are:

1. Catch (defense) - Check, Varitek can indeed catch the ball.

2. Throw - While its not talked about often enough, he cannot throw out runners.

3. Hit - His bat is gone, and I'll wager for good.

There is no scenario under which I would pay him 8M a year for, unless Teix was willing to let us deduct Varitek's salary from his contract.

It's definitely NOT a posting fee.

Want Tek to come on board and mentor Wieters? Tell him his career is over and he can be a catchers coach.

Giving Tek anything more than a few million is GROSSLY OVERPAYING for a backup catcher who is on the downside of his career. Not only that, but he takes up a roster spot...you may say a roster spot of a backup catcher, but I'd rather have a someone who isn't a fartknocker.

Giving Tek anything more than 3 million is just silly...and I think 3 million for him is a bit too much.

Archived