Cutting the cable and watching MASN

wildcard

On 12/15/2021 at 9:30 PM, El_Duderino said:

I get annoyed at how backwards this is. MLB actively making it harder to receive their product. 

Exactly this!  Lots of Oriole fans in surrounding states still in the “blackout” arbitrary areas would pay any price just about to stream the daggone games.  MLB and Os say “Nope don’t want your money” 

• 7 months later...

A new one for me this weekend. I was at OPACY and wanted to listen to the game using the iPhone. I tried first using the MLB app, but it was 1-2 batters behind. So I went to the browser and the "98Rock Listen Live" website, and it told me I was either listening on a third-party app or if using cellular, my carrier was outside the broadcast area. 

My carrier. Even though I was sitting inside the stadium. 

Their recommendation was to "use a local wifi" which as I learned a long time ago is next to impossible inside the stadium. 

So it was iheartradio and their delay, or MLB and their delay. No way to stream it directly so you would have no delay. 

My fellow season plan holder has actually purchased a small digital radio that she uses; I'm not interested in having yet another thing I have to hide when trying to bring my 1-gallon food bag and 5x7 clutch past the "security" gates. 

Why would a radio station limit who can listen live over the internet? What am I missing?

On 12/14/2021 at 8:36 AM, Orioles0615 said:

With VPN's you have to watch on like a browser right? Like how would I watch on my TV with a VPN?

Several of the popular streaming media devices support VPNs.  AppleTV, Chromecast with GoogleTV etc.  No other device necessary.

Edited by geschinger

11 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Several of the popular streaming media devices support VPNs.  AppleTV, Chromecast with GoogleTV etc.  No other device necessary.

Firsthand experience with NordVPN is that it doesn't help avoid the blackout restrictions (I'm in NYC).  The MLB.tv app or MLB website zeroes in on your billing zip code.  Unless of course someone else has a different experience?

2 minutes ago, 86this said:

Firsthand experience with NordVPN is that it doesn't help avoid the blackout restrictions (I'm in NYC).  The MLB.tv app or MLB website zeroes in on your billing zip code.  Unless of course someone else has a different experience?

Not sure about billing zip, can't see how that could be used effectively without blocking everyone when they travel.  If you are using android or iOS mobile device they do use location data (GPS) 

2 hours ago, justD said:

A new one for me this weekend. I was at OPACY and wanted to listen to the game using the iPhone. I tried first using the MLB app, but it was 1-2 batters behind. So I went to the browser and the "98Rock Listen Live" website, and it told me I was either listening on a third-party app or if using cellular, my carrier was outside the broadcast area. 

My carrier. Even though I was sitting inside the stadium. 

Their recommendation was to "use a local wifi" which as I learned a long time ago is next to impossible inside the stadium. 

So it was iheartradio and their delay, or MLB and their delay. No way to stream it directly so you would have no delay. 

My fellow season plan holder has actually purchased a small digital radio that she uses; I'm not interested in having yet another thing I have to hide when trying to bring my 1-gallon food bag and 5x7 clutch past the "security" gates. 

Why would a radio station limit who can listen live over the internet? What am I missing?

Yeah, you have to get an actual radio. MLB doesn't allow radio stations to stream their feeds when there is a game.

I have lived in range of crowd noise from Camden Yards since 2009 and back in the 105.7 days there was always a noticeable enough delay to not make it worthwhile to listen on the radio when you could see/hear the game, but with AM radio there is no delay. 

• Thanks 1