What if Greinke fell to the O's?

wildcard

He's  a 38 year old control pitcher.   What if the O's offered 1/15m with a club 15m option for 2023 and that was the best offer he got.    Is that a good deal for the O's?   Could a rotation of Means, Greinke, Grayson, Lyles and whoever be a game changer for the O's?  Would Greinke be the O's Charlie Morton?

Just something to think about.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

He's  a 38 year old control pitcher.   What if the O's offered 1/15m with a club 15m option for 2023 and that was the best offer he got.    Is that a good deal for the O's?   Could a rotation of Means, Greinke, Grayson, Lyles and whoever be a game changer for the O's?  Would Greinke be the O's Charlie Morton?

The problem is, the Orioles would never spend $15M on a player, because they are the Orioles.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They won’t offer him that and he wouldn’t be a good addition for us.

It was a surprise that Elias spent 7m on Lyles.   Greinke is a much better starter.  I don't think it can be ruled out that the O's would offer Greinke 15m just like Tampa did with Morton.

As long as the commitment is just one year, I'm onboard. He's a veteran arm that could help the youngsters (at least leading by example). His stuff is obviously a far cry from where it was and his 4.71 FIP last year scares me considering his career mark is 3.44. It leads me to believe his ERA was a bit of a mirage last year particularly given over his career his FIP (3.44) and ERA (3.41) are so close. 

Still, if he's a mid-4 ERA starter for 25-30 games, that's a huge improvement over what we had in 2021. 

I don't expect it to happen and would be surprised if it did, but I don't consider it completely impossible. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Define game changer.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, wildcard said:

I don't think a Japan Team has ever spent 15m/yr on an American player and I doubt Greinke will be the first.

The top 2021 salary in Japan, American player or not, was 33-year-old ex-Yankee, returning Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka at $8.28 million. So you're probably right.

The top 100 Japanese salaries include ex-Orioles Dennis Sarfate, Adam Jones, and Wei-yin Chen at 9th ($4.6 million), 11th ($4.048 million), and 42nd ($1.8952 million) respectively:

https://nbakki.hatenablog.com/entry/Top_100_Salaries_of_NPB_Players_in_2021

Justin Smoak, once a favorite among some OH'ers, is 18th and, just to preempt Drungo, I would like to point out that sorta ex-Oriole blocked by Buck and definite ex-Cub Tsuyoshi Wada comes in at 73rd.