Schmuck: O's interested in Hairston, M's may non-tender Bedard?

section36

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, my brain can't quite comprehend how Brian is over the hill at age 31 and yet people want Hairston back now when he's right around the same age as Brian. They both rely on similar skill sets and one has remained healthier throughout his career so how does this work? You're either old or you're not in this case, but hey, what do I know? ;) I'll head back into my offseason hole now and keep quiet. :eek::confused:

Hmm, my brain can't quite comprehend how Brian is over the hill at age 31 and yet people want Hairston back now when he's right around the same age as Brian. They both rely on similar skill sets and one has remained healthier throughout his career so how does this work? You're either old or you're not in this case, but hey, what do I know? ;) I'll head back into my offseason hole now and keep quiet. :eek::confused:

Because one will be playing every day for about $8-10m a year and the other will be a low-cost utility player? Thus, the reliance by the team on (and the cost to the team of) a diminishing skill set will be pretty disparate, no?

I have a feeling your brain can comprehend that difference.

I mean, has anyone here ever said that we should never sign anyone over 31?

You honestly don't see the differences here?:

1) Jerry signed to a very modest 1-2 year deal to get 300ish at bats.

2) BRob having very good trade value to help fill our myriad of holes.

3) BRob would take a committment of at least 4/40 in all likelihood.

I mean, just comparing the 2 and their situations is really pointless.

Speaking of Brian Roberts, Sports Illustrated and Baseball Prospectus have given Brian Roberts a new nickname - "The Human Trade Rumor". See this quote on the Orioles winter meeting wish list:
While this is an organization in rebuilding mode, they continue to pursue two big-time free agents with Maryland ties: Burnett, who lives in Monkton, and first baseman Mark Teixeira, who grew up in Severna Park. The Birds are considered longshots to land either player, and most likely will settle for signing a couple of pitchers, perhaps one of the available Japanese free agents (such as Kenshin Kawakami or Koji Uehara), along with a lower-tier major leaguer to round out a rotation that's wide open behind Jeremy Guthrie. A defense-oriented shortstop, a la free agent Cesar Izturis, is another priority. "The Human Trade Rumor," second baseman Brian Roberts, figures to attract plenty of offers, and he could finally be moved.

He obviously wouldn't start there but he probably could play second in an emergency situation in any given game.

True, but is he the guy you want starting 10 -15 games during the season so that you can rest your regular 2Bman or SS? No, so he's really not an adequate solution as a middle infield utility guy. I have no problem with him being on our bench as a corner infield backup or RH DH, but I would never want him to be our primary middle infield reserve.

He obviously wouldn't start there but he probably could play second in an emergency situation in any given game.

Right. Nobody is suggesting that Oscar Salazar play SS/2B for 150 games next year. But if he's comfortable there and can play 20-30 games at second as a sub and a backup that's fine. I'd prefer that to the recent Oriole strategy of using the bench as the place we put the guys who hit .175 but are really good defenders both days a month Brian Roberts takes off.

I should have included this in my original post but I was referring more to the posts I had read earlier today that wanted to have Jerry become the regular 2B in the instance of a Brian trade. Yes, he would be a cheaper option (although this organization isn't hurting for money) but he's also more injury prone and around the same age as Brian. If he goes down with an injury, who plays 2B? I don't think it's a smart decision to rely on Jerry to be an everyday player with his injury history. He's a great guy and would be a great addition to a team but he didn't even play everyday for the Reds this past season and he couldn't stay healthy. I apologize for not being clearer in my first post.

And there are a lot of folks who harp on the age thing of players quite a bit so I know I'm not completely off base about that part. Just because a player hits 30 doesn't mean they're going to start playing horrible the very next season but I do think that teams should probably look at their injury history when a player is older.

How do nontenders work? What I mean is, are they FA's, free to go anywhere they want?

"Nontender" means they're not tendered a contract by the team they're under the control of. Meaning they're basically cut loose to save money. So yea, like Frobby said, they're essentially non-compensatory free agents.

I should have included this in my original post but I was referring more to the posts I had read earlier today that wanted to have Jerry become the regular 2B in the instance of a Brian trade. Yes, he would be a cheaper option (although this organization isn't hurting for money) but he's also more injury prone and around the same age as Brian. If he goes down with an injury, who plays 2B? I don't think it's a smart decision to rely on Jerry to be an everyday player with his injury history. He's a great guy and would be a great addition to a team but he didn't even play everyday for the Reds this past season and he couldn't stay healthy. I apologize for not being clearer in my first post.

And there are a lot of folks who harp on the age thing of players quite a bit so I know I'm not completely off base about that part. Just because a player hits 30 doesn't mean they're going to start playing horrible the very next season but I do think that teams should probably look at their injury history when a player is older.

Well, he would be insiurance if we signed him and BRob got dealt...He isn't ideal to start everyday but he does provide us with a cheap option in case we don't acquire a young, ML ready second baseman in a deal.

Archived