O's Dynamic Duo

wildcard

6 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

If we're talking about guys defying the peripherals, remember Miguel Gonzalez? 3.82 ERA and 4.70 FIP over 580 IP in Baltimore.

And ironically, I had more confidence in him vs Tillman.

Gonzalez typically missed more bats and threw more strikes but it was close.  Peripherals were close.  Very similar in a lot of ways but I just had more confidence in Gonzalez.

Not really sure why.  Maybe it was an expectation thing.  

2 of my favorite pitchers over the last 10-15 years were MGon and Koji.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

My view: pitchers don’t have good records, pitch a lot of innings and have a good ERA over a five year span based on luck.   Anyone can be lucky for a year or two but if you get good results over a five year span you are doing something right.   

Tillman was 65-33 (.663) with a 3.81 ERA and averaged 5.91 innings per start over a five year period in which the team’s starters were 293-274 (.517) with a 4.36 ERA and averaged 5.72 innings per start.   That didn’t happen by accident IMO.

I wish we had Statcast back then.   It would have been interesting to break down why he was effective.   

Corn was right in that he was very good at controlling the running game.  A typical Tillman season was allowing two steals and three caught, all year. 

He also didn't have any difference in outcomes with runners on or bases empty.  A typical pitcher has an OPSvs 40 points higher with men on, working from the stretch.  Tillman's numbers were even.

I think he was an average MLB starter who did some small but significant things well that helped him be pretty effective for a while.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And ironically, I had more confidence in him vs Tillman.

Gonzalez typically missed more bats and threw more strikes but it was close.  Peripherals were close.  Very similar in a lot of ways but I just had more confidence in Gonzalez.

Not really sure why.  Maybe it was an expectation thing.  

2 of my favorite pitchers over the last 10-15 years were MGon and Koji.

I tend to like whoever pitches well.  Koji was fun because he worked very fast and threw almost nothing but strikes, and batters couldn’t hit his 88-90 mph heater.   Would have loved to know what his spin rate was, as his pitches really did ride up in the zone, back before everyone was trying to do that.   I liked MGon too, very crafty and somewhat under appreciated.  Fred Ferreira’s one big score for the Orioles.