Will Coby Mayo get Judge/Stanton big?

Just Regular

Still a minute and a few moderate extensions from:

Catcher: Rutshman, backup
Infield: Mountcastle, Mayo, Henderson, Ortiz, Westburg, Norby
Outfield: Mullins, Hays, Cowser, Kjerstad, Stowers
Pitching: Rodriguez, Hall, Means, Lowther, Bradish, Rom, T Wells, (sure need more to add here)

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 4:45 PM, Can_of_corn said:

They kept him around as a coach so I'm guessing he was adequate.  Worked with I think it was Reyes at some point.

I don't know about this statement. I can't remember his defense either, but I know being a coach doesn't speak to ability. I've seen a lot of hitting coaches, especially at the minor level that make me raise an eyebrow having seen them play. Maybe he had the mechanics down, but didn't translate to play? 

8 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

I don't know about this statement. I can't remember his defense either, but I know being a coach doesn't speak to ability. I've seen a lot of hitting coaches, especially at the minor level that make me raise an eyebrow having seen them play. Maybe he had the mechanics down, but didn't translate to play? 

/shrug.

I don't think they would have had him work with Reyes (6'6") at third if he wasn't at least adequate over there.

I'm not suggesting he was a defensive asset, just that I don't have any evidence he couldn't do it due to his height.

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Still a minute and a few moderate extensions from:

Catcher: Rutshman, backup
Infield: Mountcastle, Mayo, Henderson, Ortiz, Westburg, Norby
Outfield: Mullins, Hays, Cowser, Kjerstad, Stowers
Pitching: Rodriguez, Hall, Means, Lowther, Bradish, Rom, T Wells, (sure need more to add here)

Mullins
Cowser
Rutschman
Mayo
Kjerstad
Mountcastle

Could end up being a real murderers row 1-6 if things break right 

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

/shrug.

I don't think they would have had him work with Reyes (6'6") at third if he wasn't at least adequate over there.

I'm not suggesting he was a defensive asset, just that I don't have any evidence he couldn't do it due to his height.

Having watched Reyes play, I'm not entirely sure what he did, if anything to help lol. Reyes was terrible, but highly hyped on some sites if I remember correctly, but so was Billy Rowell, another 6'5" 3rd baseman. /shrug. 

4 hours ago, oldfan said:

When I see Mayo I think of Troy Glaus of the Angels. He had a nice career, sort of cut short by injuries.

I went and looked back at Glaus' BBRef page (https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/glaustr01.shtml), I'm surprised he's listed at 6'5". I very clearly remember seeing him in person at a Blue Jays/O's game and have no memory of him being so tall. That being said, if Mayo has Glaus' same career, I'd have no complaints. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

My first time noticing David Laurila in a MASN Zoom gaggle.

Luarila is really worried about having "one swing" vs "multiple swings". I think what that hitting coach was talking about was a hitter having a "grooved swing". A guy with a grooved swing is a guy who swing in the same path every time. DJ Stewart is a good example of that kind of hitter. 

It's a strange question to ask a 20-year old because 99.9% of hitters are going to tell you they have "one swing". 

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Luarila is really worried about having "one swing" vs "multiple swings". I think what that hitting coach was talking about was a hitter having a "grooved swing". A guy with a grooved swing is a guy who swing in the same path every time. DJ Stewart is a good example of that kind of hitter. 

It's a strange question to ask a 20-year old because 99.9% of hitters are going to tell you they have "one swing". 

It's a tough question for a 20 year old for sure, but my guess is different types of swings CAN be effective against Grayson Rodriguez versus against Alex Wells. 

I don't specifically know what that means though. It probably means you can just get away with more against Wells whereas you absolutely have to be short to the ball against Rodriguez. I don't know that it means you have different swings.