Orioles sign Shed Long to a minor league deal

SteveA

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know how else to interpret this:

“He probably compete with Jahmai Jones and maybe Stewart.   But he has one advantage over the others mentioned.  He gets play at AAA if he is healthy.  All the rest are on the 40 man roster and have to wait until the CBA is signed.”

Doesn’t that Indicate he’ll have an advantage if he’s healthy enough to play in AAA before the CBA is signed?    But that doesn’t seem likely to me unless the CBA really takes a very long time.  

I don't know how long it will be before the CBA is signed.   I think major league ST will take a month after that.   I don't know how long Long will be injured.  In don't know how long his rehab will be.  I think he will begin playing at AAA after he is healthy and rehabbed.   

When he is healthy if he plays  well enough at AAA he is probably competing Jones and Stewart for playing time in the majors.  But he is not of the 40 man roster so there has be an opening before he is called to the majors.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't know how long it will be before the CBA is signed.   I think major league ST will take a month after that.   I don't know how long Long will be injured.  In don't know how long his rehab will be.  I think he will begins playing at AAA after he is healthy and rehabbed.   

When he is healthy if he plays  well enough at AAA he is probably competing Jones and Stewart for playing time in the majors.  But he is not of the 40 man roster so there has be an opening before he is called to the majors.

Sure, and I understand all that.  I’m optimistic that the delay in the MLB regular season will be no more than 1-2 weeks.   Why?   No real reason, just gut instinct.   Both sides are acting tough but now showing signs that they’re nervous about missing a lot of time.

As to Long, the information about when he’s expected to complete rehab is sketchy.  So, my bet is that guys on the 40-man will be playing spring training games before Long is ready to do so.   But I could be completely wrong, depending on how long the lockout goes and how quickly Long completes his rehab.  

This is the week I'll find out if the hopelessly naive part of myself gets validated.

Weeks 4-6 of Spring Training are I feel mostly archaic baseball-wise - they were so Rick Sutcliffe could go 110 pitches on Opening Day.  Nowadays, nobody wants Sutcliffe 90-110, I'm not even sure they want Grayson Rodriguez 70-90.    Harold Baines and Trey Mancini just want their 30-40 at-bats and then go.   Revenue-wise they are meaningful for the owners and the AZ/FL localities.

Naive me has always expected posturing until now, an agreement that would enable 4 weeks of ST to happen circa March 3-30, and ontime Opening Day.    That leaves a week to actually sit down and do the work, and a week to move the trucks, have the Rule 5 draft, and what I hope will be an entertaining whirlwind with the other half of the worthwhile free agents joining teams just like the final few days before the lockout.

There will probably be some roster BS where the first week or two teams get an extra couple relievers because the pitchers...the poor pitchers....and the Rays will leverage the roster rules better than anyone else.

• Upvote 1

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/02/elias-waiting-for-new-cba-before-detailing-roster-plans.html?fbclid=IwAR3xy3GfW8dWSJOPID5Nw3yudwpNxlT6PBfXaab2_yAsQMZ88fq9_Bz4qp4

Elias on Shed: was a pretty major prospect and still young.

He also mentions him for 2B/3B/OF mix.   I am curious entering spring if Odor's good fielding last year gives him a little better shot for at least a 2B job share, as Urias' fielding might hold him back.    I think Urias might bounce around more than Odor if both make team.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/02/elias-waiting-for-new-cba-before-detailing-roster-plans.html?fbclid=IwAR3xy3GfW8dWSJOPID5Nw3yudwpNxlT6PBfXaab2_yAsQMZ88fq9_Bz4qp4

He also mentions him for 2B/3B/OF mix.   I am curious entering spring if Odor's good fielding last year gives him a little better shot for at least a 2B job share, as Urias' fielding might hold him back.    I think Urias might bounce around more than Odor if both make team.

Elias doesn't seem to make roster decisions based on defense.

Long is an improvement over Jahmai Jones and isn’t on the 40 man. I like the incremental upgrade. Long has hit better at every level and has shown glimpses that he stick in the MLB. Jones has looked completely overmatched to the point where he can’t even make contact. Long is also the better 2B with a more established role in the OF. Long is only 1.8 years older than Jones. 

Good signing. I could see Long being a bench contributor/role player for our next “good team”. 

Incremental improvements at the AAA/bench level. We haven’t really seen Elias do this too much yet. DD always did a good job constantly improving and adding depth. 

On 2/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, Just Regular said:

I'd like to see Long in RF and Howie Kendrick brought out of retirement and put in LF, for an outfield of Shedric, Cedric and Kendrick. As long as you're not trying to maximize wins . . . 

• Haha 1

For a 5-08 guy, he packs a lot of punch. I had a chance to watch some video when he was a Reds prospect, and some Mariners video. I liked him better as a Red. It looks like LH breaking balls eat him up. Maybe Ryan Fuller has some things he can work on in AAA, and perhaps Cedric Mullins has some words of wisdom for him. Similar swing and build. Or maybe nothing comes of it. It’s a minor league deal, and there is nothing else to talk about. 

• 2 months later...

“Infielder Shed Long Jr. started a minor league rehab assignment today with Single-A Delmarva, was hit by a pitch in the first inning and came out of the game. Long was in the lineup as the second base and committed a throwing error in the top of the first.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-place-lo

Forgot about this guy.   Maybe he’s the one who gives Odor the boot, if he can ever stay on the field.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Infielder Shed Long Jr. started a minor league rehab assignment today with Single-A Delmarva, was hit by a pitch in the first inning and came out of the game. Long was in the lineup as the second base and committed a throwing error in the top of the first.”

Forgot about this guy.   Maybe he’s the one who gives Odor the boot, if he can ever stay on the field.  

Well stop hitting him.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I've been quietly waiting to see him return to action. So of course he immediately gets drilled in the knee.

Nevertheless I agree. Lefty 2B who I hope challenges Odor.

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've been quietly waiting to see him return to action. So of course he immediately gets drilled in the knee.

Nevertheless I agree. Lefty 2B who I hope challenges Odor.

Challenges Odor lol He shouldn’t be on the team!🤬

Urias at 2nd, Mateo at SS and Gutierrez at 3b