Unpopular Opinion - Goodbye 162 game Seasons

big_sparxx

• big_sparxx changed the title to Unpopular Opinion - Goodbye 166 game Seasons
  • big_sparxx changed the title to Unpopular Opinion - Goodbye 162 game Seasons

I do think that the best way to accommodate the additional playoff round that MLB wants is to shorten the season to 154 games rather than to play into November. The extra round of playoffs is certainly worth more to MLB than 8 regular season games per team.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the return of scheduled Sunday doubleheaders (even if they were 7 innings) to allow for additional off-days. The amount of travel that players have to do is crazy. In 1962, when the schedule expanded to 162 games, there were only 3 teams west of Houston and no teams in the south east. Today there are 8 teams west of Dallas and three teams in the south-east and planes have not gotten any faster. 

If/when we get to 16 playoff teams, I could get behind shortening the 162 past 154 for more playoffs.

I think you can minimize the randomness with longer series if you transform 2-3 weeks.

Sure NL8 or AL8 might beat the Dodgers or White Sox, but if all rounds are 7 games and they still lose, that bothers me less than if Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall just shove for two days against a team that just beat them by 24 games across 5-6 months.

The other idea I'd welcome for more best on best is growing the WS and/or LCS to 9 or 11 games.   

If MLB still wants the one-game wildcard adrenaline, the NBA pretty much gives the blueprint with the 7/8/9/10 stuff, and 20 "playoff" teams.

9 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I do think that the best way to accommodate the additional playoff round that MLB wants is to shorten the season to 154 games rather than to play into November. The extra round of playoffs is certainly worth more to MLB than 8 regular season games per team.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the return of scheduled Sunday doubleheaders (even if they were 7 innings) to allow for additional off-days. The amount of travel that players have to do is crazy. In 1962, when the schedule expanded to 162 games, there were only 3 teams west of Houston and no teams in the south east. Today there are 8 teams west of Dallas and three teams in the south-east and planes have not gotten any faster. 

Move everyone into 3-4 geographically aligned leagues with little or no interleague play.  Nobody would ever have a regular season game more than one time zone away.  Players and fans would love it.  No more five hour plane rides to the West Coast, no more games ending at 2am Eastern Time, no Californians complaining about 4pm first pitches on a Tuesday.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Move everyone into 3-4 geographically aligned leagues with little or no interleague play.  Nobody would ever have a regular season game more than one time zone away.  Players and fans would love it.  No more five hour plane rides to the West Coast, no more games ending at 2am Eastern Time, no Californians complaining about 4pm first pitches on a Tuesday.

I would love that. One home and home interleague series a year rotating between the other two-three leagues so fans could see their team on the road and I am sold.

17 hours ago, Just Regular said:

If/when we get to 16 playoff teams, I could get behind shortening the 162 past 154 for more playoffs.

I think you can minimize the randomness with longer series if you transform 2-3 weeks.

Sure NL8 or AL8 might beat the Dodgers or White Sox, but if all rounds are 7 games and they still lose, that bothers me less than if Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall just shove for two days against a team that just beat them by 24 games across 5-6 months.

The other idea I'd welcome for more best on best is growing the WS and/or LCS to 9 or 11 games.   

If MLB still wants the one-game wildcard adrenaline, the NBA pretty much gives the blueprint with the 7/8/9/10 stuff, and 20 "playoff" teams.

Make it a double elimination tournament for the wild card teams.  Winner of the tournament faces the #1 seed. 

14 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Does the "you can't afford to take your family to a MLB game anymore" crowd not have anything to say about the prospect of cutting the supply of games by 40%?

MLB would never follow the NBA/NHL model of half as many games, stadiums half as big, prices four times as much.  Would they?

You can sit in the bleachers at OPACY for, like $20, and at least before COVID bring in your own food and drink.  Cheapest ticket at a Caps game plus a hot dog and a coke has to be over $100, right?

On 3/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, MurphDogg said:

If they ditch the WC card I doubt they will have to do this. Right now the Division round starts in one league on a Friday and the other on Thursday. Assuming we have a 3 game series that starts on a Tuesday it will be over by Thursday. My guess is they ditch the off day between games 4-5 of Division round- they have done this in the past/ and ditch a travel day off the LCS round. 

Not that I would be against cutting the regular season back a week.