Jordan Lyles agrees to 1-year deal with O's

Natty

12 minutes ago, oriole said:

Exactly. They spent money to hopefully eat some innings and protect the bullpen but clearly it’s not an attempt at winning any games. Just keep the bullpen from getting overworked and collect $7 million. 

But they could have spent less and gotten innings.

I don’t know if Elias completely misread the market or what but it’s just a really bad deal.

48 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Roch's article in his blog today is titled "How Orioles lured Jordan Lyles to the organization".

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I assume it says "By paying twice his market value".

Lyles pretty much said that in the article: “Mike came on strong the day [before the lockout] and he made an offer that we couldn’t walk away from.”

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know if Elias completely misread the market or what but it’s just a really bad deal.

For someone in a position like Elias it made no sense to sign someone before the CBA was finalized.  The type of marginal player he was going to target should have been readily available and scrambling for a job.

That is why I think the league suggested to teams to spend some money before the lockout, to improve the optics on their side.

The move is so out of character for Elias that I don't see a better explanation.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For someone in a position like Elias it made no sense to sign someone before the CBA was finalized.  The type of marginal player he was going to target should have been readily available and scrambling for a job.

That is why I think the league suggested to teams to spend some money before the lockout, to improve the optics on their side.

The move is so out of character for Elias that I don't see a better explanation.

That seems very far fetched to me.   I don’t really understand why the O’s overpaid for Lyles, but that doesn’t seem like a likely explanation.   More likely, to me, is that the O’s saw some things in Lyles that make them think he can be successful for them and be worth more than they’re paying.   And, that he’ll help take the burden off other pitchers by eating some innings.   I wasn’t a big fan of the move but I’m hoping they will prove me wrong.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That seems very far fetched to me.   I don’t really understand why the O’s overpaid for Lyles, but that doesn’t seem like a likely explanation.   More likely, to me, is that the O’s saw some things in Lyles that make them think he can be successful for them and be worth more than they’re paying.   And, that he’ll help take the burden off other pitchers by eating some innings.   I wasn’t a big fan of the move but I’m hoping they will prove me wrong.   

He's completely fungible.  There was no obvious market pressure to sign someone before the lockout.  It was a clear overpay by a team that is slashing spending.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe the O's thought they were signing him for 700k and didn't notice the extra zero.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree with @Can_of_cornon this one. They needed to spend some money. When the league looks at tanking and crazy low pay rolls, who do you think they’re gonna look at? It’s good to have at least one contract on the books that you can point to as evidence you’re not taking advantage of having no payroll floor. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that's what happened, more or less. We probably tend to underestimate the anger among other teams, the media and players at the tanking strategy employed by the Orioles. The team didn't have the time or the willingness to do much about that, but it did a little by signing Lyles. I think the overpay, or whatever you want to call it, was tolerable for the Orioles because Lyles was willing to sign so quickly to a deal with only a $1 million obligation after 2022. 

I find that explanation odd, but more likely than any other I've seen. It seems more far-fetched to think that the Orioles saw something in Lyles that could enable them to turn Lyles into a more valuable pitcher. That requires me to believe that either no other team noticed what the Orioles did, or that even after seeing that other teams were not very interested in signing Lyles, or that he chose the Orioles over other teams who saw what the Orioles did without giving them a chance to meet or come close to the Orioles' officers. 

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You certainly could be right and obviously we will never know.

It was certainly a bad decision.  

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You certainly could be right and obviously we will never know.

It was certainly a bad decision.  

It certainly looks like a bad decision, but I will wait and see how Lyles plays before judging that.   

Now, you could say (and probably will), “it doesn’t matter how it turns out, that was a poor risk.”    But we don’t know everything the O’s know.   So if they had information suggesting he could be effective this year, and that turns out to be correct and he outperforms his contract, then I won’t say it was a bad decision.   

Sign Lyles - Sign Oder - Sign basically no one else - Don't travel MASN - Few spring training games on radio/MASN - File and Arb on two popular players over less than a mil - Lowest payroll in baseball. Gotta admit if noting else, these issues gives this board plenty to talk about. That's my Orioles! Cheap and controversial if nothing else.  Seems like they should just forfit the season now. 😀 

At least no one should/will have their high expectations shattered!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Too Tall said:

Sign Lyles - Sign Oder - Sign basically no one else - Don't travel MASN - Few spring training games on radio/MASN - File and Arb on two popular players over less than a mil - Lowest payroll in baseball. Gotta admit if noting else, these issues gives this board plenty to talk about. That's my Orioles! Cheap and controversial if nothing else.  Seems like they should just forfit the season now. 😀 

At least no one should/will have their high expectations shattered!!!!!!!!!!!

And if they forfeit the season they can have people explain away the lack of progress next season by pointing out the forfeits.  Genius!

I don't think it was an overpay.  Its a one year agreement with an option which fits the O's desire contract length.  He projects to give the O's 150-180 IP which is something they need with all the young pitchers they have.  And he projects to be around a 5.00 ERA which Tampa had three starters like that on a 100 win team.

The O's got something they wanted and needed.