Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's crazy to me how folks think all guys need is more time in the minors.

Yea like it’s some magic elixir that automatically makes guys better.

People always point to Halladay as the one example…a very extreme example that is very rare.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He's got starter stuff.  Lots of good pitchers go through growing pains.  I think he'll be fine but they need to give him a long leash.

Yeah, we have all year.  Let him take his lumps and try to figure things out.   It’s not like we’ve got someone behind him who’s likely to be better right now.  

He’s had an adjustment period at each level, and it was to be expected that he’d have a big one jumping to ML. The biggest concern I have is that he has reverted to a high walk rate. Getting behind in counts mixed with a fastball that is hittable (despite good velocity) is a bad combo. He’s got the stuff to stick as a starter, but he’s gotta prove he can make it work. It’s nice that he’ll get plenty of opportunity this year. 

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, we have all year.  Let him take his lumps and try to figure things out.   It’s not like we’ve got someone behind him who’s likely to be better right now.  

I agree. Hopefully he improves. So far for our SP prospects recently all we have to show for it is a swingman type(Zimmerman) and a reliever(Akin). I guess that’s better than what Lowther, Alex Wells, and Baumann are. 

14:8 K:BB in June after 27:8 in May isn't looking good. On the positive front, that's three straight outings where he came right up on the edge of a decent 5 IP, 2 R. (On the Guerrero 1b that knocked him out last night, I think they turn the double play if Mateo gets the ball out of his glove cleanly.) 

He's having a bit of a Jorge Lopez effect where he just can't finish that 5th inning. A more efficient first two innings is the antidote so he has more left in the tank. 

He has been struggling, no doubt.  But there is no reason not to let him figure it out up here, with the MLB coaches.  Keep working with him and reevaluate at the end of the season.  Barring injury, he should start every fifth day or so through September. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

He's got starter stuff.  Lots of good pitchers go through growing pains.  I think he'll be fine but they need to give him a long leash.

Ehhh, I’m not sure I agree that he has starter stuff but maybe it’s just semantics.

I don’t see anything remotely resembling a consistent third pitch or consistent fastball command.

I agree the possibility exists that those things can occur but it’s not close right now.

He is averaging 9.2K's per 9 ip which is a very high number for a starter so he has swing and miss stuff.  There is very little difference in his velocity from 1st inning to 80th pitch.  His stuff is plenty good enough to be a major league starter he just needs to repeat this delivery.   When he has trouble his body gets ahead of his arm and the ball flattens out or tails in and misses arm side.  Palmer always talks about when he was younger he would get in trouble and he would try harder and throw harder which is last thing you want to do.  He reminds me a lot of Arrieta when things go wrong he would speed everything up and ball would flatten up instead of letting his normal motion which gave the ball movement.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He is averaging 9.2K's per 9 ip which is a very high number for a starter so he has swing and miss stuff.  There is very little difference in his velocity from 1st inning to 80th pitch.  His stuff is plenty good enough to be a major league starter he just needs to repeat this delivery.   When he has trouble his body gets ahead of his arm and the ball flattens out or tails in and misses arm side.  Palmer always talks about when he was younger he would get in trouble and he would try harder and throw harder which is last thing you want to do.  He reminds me a lot of Arrieta when things go wrong he would speed everything up and ball would flatten up instead of letting his normal motion which gave the ball movement.   

You know a young struggling Arrieta is a good comp for Bradish.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

You know a young struggling Arrieta is a good comp for Bradish.

Bradish doesn't have that kind of stuff but he has good stuff and he is struggling so it's an OK comp. Just let the kid pitch, it's not like we have five guys in triple A who deserve a shot.