Making pitching decisions will be crazy this year

Frobby

Two weeks from opening day, and most of our starting pitcher candidates have pitched exactly once, for maybe 2 innings if they’re lucky.  Realistically, they’ll probably get two more outings each before decisions have to be made.   Plus, now half the staff has some kind of a stomach bug.  

Hyde might as well draw names out of a hat.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Two weeks from opening day, and most of our starting pitcher candidates have pitched exactly once, for maybe 2 innings if they’re lucky.  Realistically, they’ll probably get two more outings each before decisions have to be made.   Plus, now half the staff has some kind of a stomach bug.  

They were probably watching the other half pitch, would make anyone feel nauseous.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm smelling a comeback for a recently retired Orioles pitcher. If some of the younger players get promoted during the season it might make for some fun. Otherwise the pitching staff is going to be a house of horrors again. 

1138337230.jpeg

I wonder how many times we’ll resort to having a position player pitch this year.  Last year Valaika, Wilkerson and Wynns all got their turn.   Apparently position players had to be at the end of the alphabet to qualify for a mound appearance 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

With the Orioles young pitching it impacted them more.

Arguably true, though I know you’re just mocking what some posters probably will say.   

As for me, it’s a long, 162-game season.   The short spring won’t affect how pitchers are pitching in May.  The first few weeks will be affected, no doubt.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Meanwhile, Scherzer went 5 strong IP in his first outing of ST.

Bradish pitching his way into the rotation, which is nice to see. Vespi is a tougher call for the bullpen if he keeps pitching well because he’s not of the 40 already. I’m anxious to start seeing these guys in Baltimore. I guess it will be nice to see Rodriguez/Hall too….if you’re into that kinda thing. 

It's pretty crazy, I would say there only two locks for the rotation (Means and Lyles). Any of Zimmerman, Wells, Lowther, Akin, Baumann, and Bradish could take the remaining three spots. I think I would go with Zimmerman, Akin, and Bradish, with Wells and Baumann in the bullpen and Lowther in Norfolk as a starter.

Lots of possibilities for the bullpen as well. Wells (if not a starter), Sulser, Baker and Tate seem like locks. After that I don't see anyone really guaranteed to make it.